Fedora Asahi Remix 39 Released For Apple Silicon Macs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by akira128 View Post

guglovich is a known troll, just look at his past comments -- there all super-negative. The guy is obviously living an extremely miserable existence.
    Many of these "Senior Members" are constantly trolling phoronix to raise their post count and ranking.
    I wish phoronix had an ignore button so I could ignore these fools who contribute absolutely nothing to the conversation at hand. They're basically just noise that you need to block out. Phoronix should really consider creating a "Senior Troll" ranking ; )

Click on About --> Find all posts
    https://www.phoronix.com/forums/member/106599-guglovich
    Trolls are not characterised by making solely negative comments. A good troll generates responses: the more verbose the better. The object of the troll's game is to provoke people into spending lots of time writing to counter the apparent views (or ignorance) of the troll. Someone who is just constantly negative is not a troll.

Phoronix does have an 'ignore' button. It is located at the bottom of User Settings - Account (you need to scroll to the bottom of the page). It is labelled with "To block certain users' posts, enter their names into the ignore list. To remove users from the ignore list, click the 'x' button."

It just doesn't work. (Although the functionality might have been fixed since I last looked at it.)

One of the nice things about Phoronix for me is that I am not concerned about my post count, other than it being to high, indicating I am spending too much time and resources here, and as for ranking, I try to evaluate the content of postings I read rather than who wrote them, and hope others feel the same way. I don't care who you are if you talk sense and share expertise.

Comment

I'm glad Asahi Linux defaults to KDE, joining other new distros like SteamOS and EndeavourOS. Gnome is horrible and needs to disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post

Why do you feel the need to post something like this? If it doesn't affect you, then just don't go out of your way to complain about other people's accomplishments and/or preferences, it makes you look like a condescending asshole.
        It's called my opinion. And you don't respect other people's opinions by getting personal.

Comment

I wish phoronix had an ignore button
          ... provided by a modern forum engine with a lot of features (threading, for example) and a better design. it's a real PITA to read :/

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

Thank you for pointing that out. I had missed that when I went over to the Asahi website. However, that said, their bias towards KDE is evident and forward facing. To quote...

Fedora Asahi Remix ❤️ KDE Plasma

" ​We are proud to offer KDE Plasma as our flagship desktop environment. With leading edge Wayland support and a highly customizable experience plus wide support for Apple hardware features, KDE Plasma is a joy to use on Apple Silicon.

Want to use Night Color to keep your screen from disrupting your sleep cycle? No worries, it just works. Tweak your trackpad settings for a more comfortable experience? Everything’s right there in System Settings. Are things on screen too big or too small? Just adjust the display scale to your heart’s content, even in 5% increments. We’ve worked with the KDE project to bring you bug fixes and improvements to improve platform support, and we’ve also built a custom Calamares-based initial setup wizard so you can be up and running in no time with minimal fuss.

Fedora Linux 39 comes with KDE Plasma 5.27, with the latest patches and improvements. But that’s not all: Stay tuned for the upcoming Fedora Linux 40, which will bring us KDE Plasma 6 with even more improvements. "

Now, compare and contrast this boilerplate with what they have to say about GNOME....

" Rather use GNOME? No worries, we’ve got you covered with GNOME 45.​ "

It is quite evident from the above that Asahi is a KDE developer and GNOME is an afterthought. Nowhere do you see the same love or even announcement that they (Asahi) is working with the GNOME project, as they say they are with KDE, in "being "proud to offer KDE Plasma as our flagship desktop environment" or ​to..."bring you bug fixes and improvements to improve platform support"...as they announced above. Nor is there a heart emoji attached to their statement that they've..."got you covered with GNOME 45".

That's fine...once Asahi has ironed out full M3 support including the improved GPU that has hardware raytracing for the first time in Apple Silicon products, and when the useful life of this Macbook is nearing its end, which of course will be a while, I'll give it a go. Or fire up a VM and give it a go, if that's possible.
            The de-emphasis of Gnome is not without good reason:
            KDE and GNOME are both supported DEs for Fedora Asahi Remix, but there's still one issue that makes it impossible for me to honestly recommend GNOME to anyone trying out Linux on these platforms for the first time: GNOME does not support fractional scaling out of the box, and it is actively broken with XWayland if you enable it by editing the configs directly. I consider proper HiDPI support with fractional scaling a basic fundamental requirement for Apple machines. It's a basic macOS feature, and not having it on Linux is just silly. It doesn't even need to be *perfect* fractional scaling support (integer scaling + display output rescaling is fine, it's what macOS does AFAIK)... but it needs to be there. In GNOME you can enable it via the command line (sigh...), but if you do, XWayland apps just become a blurry mess since they render at 100%. This includes apps like Thunderbird out of the box. KDE does this right, within the constraints of the legacy X11 protocol: the X11 scale is set to the largest of your monitor scales, so X11 apps look crisp on at least one monitor (even crisper than on Wayland at non-integer scales, at least until the native Wayland fractional scaling stuff catches up) and only minimally soft on the others (typical downscaling softness, same thing macOS does and same thing you get on Wayland for most apps today). KDE had that problem way back when we first shipped the Arch alpha, which is why that was using *native Xorg*. They fixed it soon thereafter, so now KDE Wayland works as intended. But GNOME still hasn't caught up, and AIUI they don't even plan to do what KDE did... For folks who are happy with GNOME, of course, we do consider it a supported desktop environment and will debug issues that crop up related to our platform drivers/etc. But I just... can't in good conscience tell people to try GNOME first as a first-time experience on Apple Silicon, not when the out-of-the-box experience is just "200% or 100%, nothing in between, unless you hack configs manually and then a bunch of apps become horribly blurry". \* Note: By fractional scaling, I mean *effective* fractional scaling, not *native* fractional scaling. Native fractional scaling is brand new in Wayland and stuff is still catching up, but even macOS doesn't do that either. The important part is that things are the right size (and you have more than integer sizes available), and that nothing is ever upscaled from a *lower* pixel density, which is what you get with KDE today. Edit: Addendum: The out-of-the-box multi-monitor XWayland *integer* scaling experience in GNOME is also quite broken. They do scale XWayland apps to 200%... but then if you move them to another monitor at a different scale, they stay there. Only native Wayland apps rescale, though they do so by jumping to the new scale as you move them to the other monitor, at the midpoint, Windows-style. KDE has macOS-style seamless rescaling out of the box, your workspace is pixel density independent and everything just works without any weird jumps or glitches. The more people try to argue about this with me, the more I try things in GNOME and the more broken/strictly worse I realize it is... :/

With that being said, I do have it on my MacBook Pro and it works fine (more smoother then my x86 machine).

Comment

looks like 2024 is going to be the year of the Wayland Desktop!

Comment

guglovich is a known troll, just look at his past comments -- there all super-negative. The guy is obviously living an extremely miserable existence.
                Many of these "Senior Members" are constantly trolling phoronix to raise their post count and ranking.
                I wish phoronix had an ignore button so I could ignore these fools who contribute absolutely nothing to the conversation at hand. They're basically just noise that you need to block out. Phoronix should really consider creating a "Senior Troll" ranking ; )

Click on About --> Find all posts
                That's what we call living in ignorance. Can't accept different opinions, must be surrounded with what you want to hear only.

I wonder who's the troll then?

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
                  Gnome is horrible and needs to disappear.
                  Wow, I don't enjoy GNOME either but a lot of people do. Live and let live, eh?

Comment

I get that people want to heap praise on this project but we need to keep things in perspective.

The Asahi group did not modify Linux to run on ARM, Linux on ARM has been around for a while.

What they did was create patches that allow ARM Linux to run on Apple's ARM based processors.

But we need to be honest with ourselves, there's no iso that you can download to give this variant a test drive before commuting to an install, for me that is a big stopper.

You need to be running Mac OS in order to install this and I believe that you need to keep a Mac OS install so that you can dual boot with Asahi.

They do not now, and I don't think they ever will, support hardware accelerated decoding and encoding of ProRes or ProsRes Raw.

These ARM based Macs are designed for the lucrative commercial content creator market, so-called Hollywood, that in many ways were a major factor in Apple becoming as big as they are today.

Lastly, with this you are tied to running Fedora on your Mac.

This means that this project will appeal to people that want to pay a premium for an Apple computer and then give up using the main technologies that make Apple an attractive option and run Fedora 39 as opposed to some other distro.

I think the number of takers for this offering will be relatively small.

Now if they ever get to the point where you can download a live-USB iso so that you can take it for a test spin to see if you like it and they offer a couple of different versions, such as Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, Manjaro, and maybe a couple of others, and they manage to get ProRes/RAW decode/encode working, then they may gave a winner.

Until then it's kind of a hard sell, especially if you're a parent that just bought your kid a five thousand dollar computer and you find out he/she/it/one ended up with an expensive paperweight while they were trying to install Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperchaotic View Post
                      Anyway they've proven a lot of people wrong, one can go back a bit even on this forum and see people "giving them six months" (it's tempting to do that) but they've succeeded.
                      That was me.

I don't know if i would call this a "success" until every part of an ARM based Mac works with this OS.

But if they want to pay themselves on the back and have a Sake, who am I point out the obvious?

Comment

Working...
                      X