Fedora Asahi Remix 39 Released For Apple Silicon Macs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
    On a side note, I was curious as to why the developers decided to call their distribution "ASAHI" as that word was attached to a camera company that made the very first 35mm film camera I ever bought in the late 1970's, that being Asahi Pentax, and the camera was the Pentax ME. Asahi in Japanese is a compound word comprising of the word "ASA" and "HI". ASA means "Dawning" or "Brightening" and HI means "Day" or "Sun". In other words....."Rising Sun".
    From their site:
    Asahi means “rising sun” in Japanese, and it is also the name of an apple cultivar. 旭りんご (asahi ringo) is what we know as the McIntosh Apple, the apple variety that gave the Mac its name.​

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
      Ruined the macbook with two things at once.
      Why do you feel the need to post something like this? If it doesn't affect you, then just don't go out of your way to complain about other people's accomplishments and/or preferences, it makes you look like a condescending asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post

Fedora Asahi Remix is available with either KDE Plasma or GNOME. It's right in the announcement.
        Thank you for pointing that out. I had missed that when I went over to the Asahi website. However, that said, their bias towards KDE is evident and forward facing. To quote...

Fedora Asahi Remix ❤️ KDE Plasma

" ​We are proud to offer KDE Plasma as our flagship desktop environment. With leading edge Wayland support and a highly customizable experience plus wide support for Apple hardware features, KDE Plasma is a joy to use on Apple Silicon.

Want to use Night Color to keep your screen from disrupting your sleep cycle? No worries, it just works. Tweak your trackpad settings for a more comfortable experience? Everything’s right there in System Settings. Are things on screen too big or too small? Just adjust the display scale to your heart’s content, even in 5% increments. We’ve worked with the KDE project to bring you bug fixes and improvements to improve platform support, and we’ve also built a custom Calamares-based initial setup wizard so you can be up and running in no time with minimal fuss.

Fedora Linux 39 comes with KDE Plasma 5.27, with the latest patches and improvements. But that’s not all: Stay tuned for the upcoming Fedora Linux 40, which will bring us KDE Plasma 6 with even more improvements. "

Now, compare and contrast this boilerplate with what they have to say about GNOME....

" Rather use GNOME? No worries, we’ve got you covered with GNOME 45.​ "

It is quite evident from the above that Asahi is a KDE developer and GNOME is an afterthought. Nowhere do you see the same love or even announcement that they (Asahi) is working with the GNOME project, as they say they are with KDE, in "being "proud to offer KDE Plasma as our flagship desktop environment" or ​to..."bring you bug fixes and improvements to improve platform support"...as they announced above. Nor is there a heart emoji attached to their statement that they've..."got you covered with GNOME 45".

That's fine...once Asahi has ironed out full M3 support including the improved GPU that has hardware raytracing for the first time in Apple Silicon products, and when the useful life of this Macbook is nearing its end, which of course will be a while, I'll give it a go. Or fire up a VM and give it a go, if that's possible.

Comment

On a side note, I was curious as to why the developers decided to call their distribution "ASAHI" as that word was attached to a camera company that made the very first 35mm film camera I ever bought in the late 1970's, that being Asahi Pentax, and the camera was the Pentax ME. Asahi in Japanese is a compound word comprising of the word "ASA" and "HI". ASA means "Dawning" or "Brightening" and HI means "Day" or "Sun". In other words....."Rising Sun".
          Asahi means “rising sun” in Japanese, and it is also the name of an apple cultivar. 旭りんご (asahi ringo) is what we know as the McIntosh Apple, the apple variety that gave the Mac its name.​

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post

Why do you feel the need to post something like this? If it doesn't affect you, then just don't go out of your way to complain about other people's accomplishments and/or preferences, it makes you look like a condescending asshole.
            guglovich is a known troll, just look at his past comments -- there all super-negative. The guy is obviously living an extremely miserable existence.
            Many of these "Senior Members" are constantly trolling phoronix to raise their post count and ranking.
            I wish phoronix had an ignore button so I could ignore these fools who contribute absolutely nothing to the conversation at hand. They're basically just noise that you need to block out. Phoronix should really consider creating a "Senior Troll" ranking ; )

Click on About --> Find all posts
            https://www.phoronix.com/forums/member/106599-guglovich
            Last edited by akira128; 19 December 2023, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by akira128 View Post

guglovich is a known troll, just look at his past comments -- there all super-negative. The guy is obviously living an extremely miserable existence.
              Many of these "Senior Members" are constantly trolling phoronix to raise their post count and ranking.
              I wish phoronix had an ignore button so I could ignore these fools who contribute absolutely nothing to the conversation at hand. They're basically just noise that you need to block out. Phoronix should really consider creating a "Senior Troll" ranking ; )

Click on About --> Find all posts
              https://www.phoronix.com/forums/member/106599-guglovich
              Might I direct you to this shitty GreaseMonkey script I wrote: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/45...ronix-enhancer. It lets you not only hide a few known trolls, but also lets you hide whoever you want. Get this though... it also hides any responses containing quotes from the troll. You can read the code and try it for yourself.

Comment

open-source lovers should not buy Apple M1/M2 plain and simple because there is no ASIC hardware for AV1 decode any AV1 video from youtube will run on the General purpose ARM CPU cores and burn a lot of energy.

of course Apple M3 has AV1 decode but as anyone can read is not yet supported.

also the biggest strange thing of these apple M products on linux is the fact that you need to have apple macos installed to update the bios/firmware.
                thats absolute nonsense to be honest.

and i think apple will not be able to keep this linux driver development modell because as soon as the Qualcomm snapdragon elite X hit the market with even faster singlecore ARM performance than apple m3... and just imagine of they invest in linux drivers this would end the apple M dreamworld not depent on independent developers for the linux support.

but maybe Qualcomm focus on microsoft windows then of course apple can continue not develop linux drivers.
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
                  open-source lovers should not buy Apple M1/M2 plain and simple because there is no ASIC hardware for AV1 decode any AV1 video from youtube will run on the General purpose ARM CPU cores and burn a lot of energy.

of course Apple M3 has AV1 decode but as anyone can read is not yet supported.

also the biggest strange thing of these apple M products on linux is the fact that you need to have apple macos installed to update the bios/firmware.
                  thats absolute nonsense to be honest.

and i think apple will not be able to keep this linux driver development modell because as soon as the Qualcomm snapdragon elite X hit the market with even faster singlecore ARM performance than apple m3... and just imagine of they invest in linux drivers this would end the apple M dreamworld not depent on independent developers for the linux support.

but maybe Qualcomm focus on microsoft windows then of course apple can continue not develop linux drivers.

After 40+ years of computing the absolute truth I have discovered is hardware performance is relative and dependent on firmware and software. It is doubtful that this pre-market Qualcomm Snapdragon will have better synthetic benchmark performance than an Apple Silicon M3 ( and remember there are 3 varieties of M3...the M3, the M3 Pro and the M3 Max ) but even if it were to have better single core performance in some synthetic benchmark, the world is moving rapidly away from single core programming and engineering and besides, that Qualcomm chip will be saddled with either a device running Android or Windows. In terms of Android I guarantee that that OS will hamstring any theoretical performance advantage Qualcomm Elite X will have and the fragmentation of the Windows ARM world will also hamper any performance advantage if not support advantage as well.

The fact will always remain....Apple Silicon products will always have the performance advantage and even more so over time, as you will see support drop off much quicker with Android devices and the incompetence of Microsoft simply because Apple creates both the hardware and the software in house.

Dropping a Qualcomm Elite X into an Android device is like dropping a Ferrari engine into a Yugo. Dropping it into a Windows device is like dropping it into a Ford. Or any other American car company.

Comment

It is quite evident from the above that Asahi is a KDE developer and GNOME is an afterthought.​
                    Asahi as a distro is heavily driven by 1 developer, and while he has nothing to do with KDE development you are correct that he's a KDE user and therefore primarily interested in making sure things work for his own use. I don't think that's going to change anytime soon, unless someone else steps up to provide significant contributions.

That said, if you are aware of any bugs in gnome I'm sure they will get fixed. And if you're not, then it's kind of silly to claim it's somehow bad. It's just using the standard ARM64 builds of KDE and Gnome, so there shouldn't really be any extra polish needed - most of the changes the distro makes are just drivers/kernel patches.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 20 December 2023, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post

Might I direct you to this shitty GreaseMonkey script I wrote: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/45...ronix-enhancer. It lets you not only hide a few known trolls, but also lets you hide whoever you want. Get this though... it also hides any responses containing quotes from the troll. You can read the code and try it for yourself.
                      In these forums it's probably more effective to do your script in reverse as a whitelist instead of a blacklist. If you add every dumbass and troll to your KNOWN_TROLLS const that's going to be a looooooooong list .

Comment

Working...
                      X