Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Want to see how close minded they are?

This document presents the preferred coding style for C programs in GNOME. While coding style is very much a matter of taste, in GNOME we favor a coding style that promotes consistency, readability...

Read the parts where they consider it "disrespectful" if you do not adhere to the coding style they prefer and consider the idiocy of what they are saying.

Gnome had a memory leak for 10 years, imagine if someone that was experienced with FORTRAN, Pascal or C# decided to take a look at their code and figured out what the problems were and decided to submit a patch but used a coding style that they considered "disrespectful", say something like having the balls to use 7 or 9 indentations instead of exactly 8.

They would likely have rejected the patch rather than incorporate it, because you know, the compiler really gives a shit how many indentations there are, it might refuse to produce byte-code with an error message "are you kidding me, 9 spaces indented, WTF do you think you are?"

Gnomes don't even belong on people's lawns, much less their desktops.
    one thing I never understood is why if someone has a clearly good patch, why not just fix the formatting yourself and merge? If you are familiar with your project and really care that much, it will take you like 30s for a smaller patch and maybe a couple minutes for a larger one. this is one of the things I actually like the most about the rust development ecosystem is we generally don't need to give a shit anymore. everyone just wants what cargo format dumps out and as long as you do that you are good

Comment

Want to see how close minded they are?

This document presents the preferred coding style for C programs in GNOME. While coding style is very much a matter of taste, in GNOME we favor a coding style that promotes consistency, readability...

Read the parts where they consider it "disrespectful" if you do not adhere to the coding style they prefer and consider the idiocy of what they are saying.

Gnome had a memory leak for 10 years, imagine if someone that was experienced with FORTRAN, Pascal or C# decided to take a look at their code and figured out what the problems were and decided to submit a patch but used a coding style that they considered "disrespectful", say something like having the balls to use 7 or 9 indentations instead of exactly 8.

They would likely have rejected the patch rather than incorporate it, because you know, the compiler really gives a shit how many indentations there are, it might refuse to produce byte-code with an error message "are you kidding me, 9 spaces indented, WTF do you think you are?"

Gnomes don't even belong on people's lawns, much less their desktops.
      Hum, I am not a gnome fan by any means, but sorry to disagree here.
      A project needs a strict coding style and formatting policy in order to get homogeneous code structure and practices.
      Nothing’s wrong with that at all.

Comment

Where are you getting this from?

Ubuntu uses Gnome that is customized, as does Nobara; what you're describing goes against all the claims ever made by Linux and GPL proponents for decades.
        There was a blog post that I'm having trouble digging back out of my browser history.

As a runner up, take a look at https://stopthemingmy.app/

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
          Hum, I am not a gnome fan by any means, but sorry to disagree here.
          A project needs a strict coding style and formatting policy in order to get homogeneous code structure and practices.
          Nothing’s wrong with that at all.
          Here's a scenario for you, you get a good paying job as a programmer, with the agreement that after your 90 day review you are eligible for a generous bonus.

90 days arrives, you are called into your manager's office and the conversation goes like this:

Manager: Well, it's been 90 days and i have to say everyone seems to like you, you work hard, fit in with the corporate environment and you even managed to find and fix that nasty bug that no one had been able to.

You: Thank you, so i guess I will be getting my bonus.

Manager: No, in fact I am sorry to say that we are going to have to let you go.

You: What? Why? You just said...

Manager: I know what i said, but you have been using 7 indentations and we are strictly an 8 indentation organization.

What would your response be?

Or how about you go in for a job interview and they ask you, "what is the correct number of indentations to use when writing code?"

What response do you give them?

The idiocy of considering it disrespectful if you don't use exactly 8 indentations is mind boggling.

Is it any wonder that it took 10 years to find and fix a memory leak>

They were probably too busy counting how many indentations the code had, because you know, 8 is the magic number for optimal performance.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

There was a blog post that I'm having trouble digging back out of my browser history.

As a runner up, take a look at https://stopthemingmy.app/
            That link is hysterical.

Linux proponents: Linux is great, you can do anything you want with it.

Linux developers: Please don't do whatever you like with it, it tends to break very easily.

Here's the thing, that link is right, themes do tend to break the desktop and render everything completely unusable, For instance on Mate you can change the fonts to pretty much any size you want, but the problem is that if you go too big application don't look right and they become unusable,

Plasma takes a slightly different approach, you can change the font size but if you try to go over 14pt fonts you get a warning that fonts that are too large can result in apps that don't look or work properly.

I think these app developers need to disable 3rd party theming in their apps if they want to control how they look and behave. Code some theming options in the app itself, like a light theme, a dark theme, maybe some different colors or styles, give the end user 3 or 4 options but disable the ability for outside code to influence how your app looks.

Comment

That link is hysterical.

Linux proponents: Linux is great, you can do anything you want with it.

Linux developers: Please don't do whatever you like with it, it tends to break very easily.
              Therefore, GNOME is not Linux.
              -- Socrates

Comment

Here's a scenario for you, you get a good paying job as a programmer, with the agreement that after your 90 day review you are eligible for a generous bonus.

90 days arrives, you are called into your manager's office and the conversation goes like this:

Manager: Well, it's been 90 days and i have to say everyone seems to like you, you work hard, fit in with the corporate environment and you even managed to find and fix that nasty bug that no one had been able to.

Manager: I know what i said, but you have been using 7 indentations and we are strictly an 8 indentation organization.

Or how about you go in for a job interview and they ask you, "what is the correct number of indentations to use when writing code?"

The idiocy of considering it disrespectful if you don't use exactly 8 indentations is mind boggling.

They were probably too busy counting how many indentations the code had, because you know, 8 is the magic number for optimal performance.
                Finding a really good dev is not such an easy thing for an employer that you ditch me for a bs minor code practice issues such as indentation spaces…

…and a good dev will apply the code rules set by his company if he’s professional anyway…

…and these issues are easily fixed by a IDE script or plugin or by spending a few min a day fixing your code.

However I would fire you if you keep not improving you code while you have been notified multiple times.

Comment

Compaints about formatting is an argument to use Rust. Run `cargo fmt` before creating a git commit and you're good. It's how all Pop!_OS/COSMIC projects have been maintained. Formatting is never a concern when I get a community contributor creating a PR. Only concern I have is good descriptions for git commits, but in most cases I'd squash or rename them myself to ensure they adhere to the Conventional Commit standard.
                  Last edited by mmstick; 18 December 2023, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Hello everybody,

I would like to apologize for my posts under nickname "sophisticles" and "hel88".

the thing is, I am very sick person. Schizophrenia with manic depression.
                    When I'm on my medication like now, I feel ashamed for the things that I do when not on medication.

For example, when I'm not using my therapy properly I get this crazy tendency to troll on linux forums. For that devious purpose I am using nicknames "sophisticles" and "hel88". under those nicknames I write crazy, insane things. when I am on regular therapy like now, I cannot believe the crap that I wrote under those 2 nicknames.

overall, I would like all of you to know that I don't really mean what I write under those 2 nicknames and also, I love linux, open source and gpl. and yes, microsoft sucks.​

Comment

Working...
                    X