Arch Linux ALHP Adds x86-64-v4 Repository For Packages Built With AVX-512

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux ALHP Adds x86-64-v4 Repository For Packages Built With AVX-512

Phoronix: Arch Linux ALHP Adds x86-64-v4 Repository For Packages Built With AVX-512

The unofficial "ALHP" repositories for Arch Linux have begun offering an x86-64-v4 tuned repository for packages built against this current highest x86-64 micro-architecture feature level for the latest Intel and AMD processors with AVX-512 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We also provide them since a while:

edit: I wonder anyways, why you don't really have us on track in any x86-64-x news.
    Last edited by ptr1337; 14 December 2023, 07:59 AM.

Comment

CachyOS had this for a long time. It's my favorite distro/package repository by far in Arch Linux.

Wish they would team up with Artix Linux to provide optimized binaries for SystemD-free installations like Dinit!
      Last edited by Kjell; 14 December 2023, 08:00 AM.

Comment

The only problem with these 3rd party repos is that they are additive and can't replace default Arch ones. And often you have a situation when half of your software is x86-64-v3-pgo-lto-wtf, and half of it came from Arch repos just because there newer packages were built. And you receive weird problems because of this (like broken screen sharing in browsers because libpipewire breaks with LTO). I wish Arch provide full x86-64-v3 repo themselves.

Comment

Let's wait and see if x86-64-v4 will stay alive, there is talk on the GCC mailing list to abandon it alltogether due to obstacles with AVX10 on the road going forward: https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-pa...er/640327.html

By the way, someone subscribed to the GCC ML should notice them that x86-64-v4 is a convenient and compatible way to use AVX-512 on existing CPU implementations distribution-wide. And I doubt there is much willingness on the distribution side to make that Zen 4-only going forward if x86-64-v4 died.
          Last edited by ms178; 14 December 2023, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
            The only problem with these 3rd party repos is that they are additive and can't replace default Arch ones. And often you have a situation when half of your software is x86-64-v3-pgo-lto-wtf, and half of it came from Arch repos just because there newer packages were built. And you receive weird problems because of this (like broken screen sharing in browsers because libpipewire breaks with LTO). I wish Arch provide full x86-64-v3 repo themselves.
            You just described why third-party has issues while looking over the fact that this is the next best thing to appliance. Tests and research (gathering data) has to be made before it naturally flows in the official repos.

Comment

Yeah, the way Arch handles this needs a lot of care while updating and in maintenance if you have a lot of custom-compiled packages. CachyOS is better in this regard if you stick to their repos because they aim to keep their packages better in-sync with upstream and try to minimize breakage across their repos. ALHP had some issues in the past due to their slow build server, important distro-wide packages e.g. python, took way too long to incorporate and the delay caused breakage when updating from the standard Arch repo in the meantime.

Comment

The day they finally integrate Calamares (which is elsewhere has just been released in version 3.3) so maybe I will be interested by Arch Linux.

Comment

Anyone here knows the subset of AVX512 that x86-64-v4 enables? It seems to be "AVX512F, AVX512BW, AVX512CD, AVX512DQ, AVX512VL", but where is the detailed documentation? The closest I was able to find is https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/x...Functions.html

Comment

This happens often in ALHP
                    Never had such issue after switching to CachyOS

Comment

Working...
                    X