Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 12.4 Released With Dozens Of Fixes

Phoronix: Debian 12.4 Released With Dozens Of Fixes

Following Debian 12.3 being delayed due to an EXT4 data corruption bug briefly appearing in released Linux 6.1 LTS releases, Debian 12.3 has been replaced by Debian 12.4 and comes with dozens of bug fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since the ZFS silent corruption bug was found at the beginning of this month, I have been building/maintaining my own ZFS 2.1.14 builds. I can find no change log entry that this was fixed/updated in any Debian-derived distro, including Debian's 12.4, latest Ubuntu 22.04 change logs, or updates from Linux-Mint 21.2.

I run 4 machines that boot from Ext4 and use ZFS for bulk storage, previously installed from their repos. While I'm happy that these distros mention that the Ext4 corruption is fixed, some mention of updating to, or back-porting, the ZFS fix would be 'nice'. Did I miss any change logs, or is stable ZFS my problem from now on????

Edit: clarified that I previously installed ZFS from their own repos.
    Last edited by MarkG; 11 December 2023, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
      Since the ZFS silent corruption bug was found at the beginning of this month, I have been building/maintaining my own ZFS 2.1.14 builds. I can find no change log entry that this was fixed/updated in any Debian-derived distro, including Debian's 12.4, latest Ubuntu 22.04 change logs, or updates from Linux-Mint 21.2.

I run 4 machines that boot from Ext4 and use ZFS for bulk storage, previously installed from their repos. While I'm happy that these distros mention that the Ext4 corruption is fixed, some mention of updating to, or back-porting, the ZFS fix would be 'nice'. Did I miss any change logs, or is stable ZFS my problem from now on????

Edit: clarified that I previously installed ZFS from their own repos.
      ZFS isn't part of any Linux distro's code base except for Ubuntu, so I wouldn't expect them to mention it. You're running a 3rd party module. Personally, it's a great FS and I will continue to use it for systems where I need lots of storage or date reliability, but if you want ZFS to part of the core "OS" then use FreeBSD.

and yes, even with this bug it's still a reliable FS. Anyone running large enterprise systems would NOT have jumped on this code release before running on dev / test / throwaway systems for a good number of weeks and/or letting the public "sort it out" first.

Comment

Working...
      X