Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post

Blah, blah, blah. Does that help?
    I didn't ask for help. If you just learned you were wrong, you are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Siuoq View Post

Probably you have a taste and/or standards?
      My comment was just to say that it would have been nice to see more participation.
      I like what's there now, but I usually change it to the Tumbleweed symbol (infinity), but I like the MicroOS one too. We'll see who will be chosen...​

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post
        My comment was just to say that it would have been nice to see more participation.
        And I bet there would have been more if they made it more public. I only found out about the vote via this article and there was no news about submitting a logo, at least not on the sites I visit regularly. Or they should have kept the vote under the radar too.

Edit: So I looked at their reasoning for a new logo again, but I can't make any sense of it:

SUSE has refreshed its brand over the years and its newest logo revealed in 2020 differs completely from that of openSUSE’s.
        I beg to differ, they are both slightly different stylized green chameleons.

However, the brands of both SUSE and openSUSE can oftentimes confuse people who don’t understand the relationship between the open-source company SUSE and the open-source community project openSUSE.
        If the logos already "differ completely" how would another completely different logo or even one that "shares a similar style" change that?

To help reduce this cross-branding confusion, the community seeks to create a unique brand identity, but to help provide a distinction between the company and the community project; hence, the chameleon inspired logo design contest. Differing logos is a first step to help people identify the difference between the two brands and should alleviate issues that have or could arise in community projects from oozing into the company’s brand identity.
        My take on this, use the current "completely different" chameleon and write open suse under it. Oh and they don't even have to do anything to achieve that.
        Maybe they have been sued by suse and can't talk about it? Else this all makes no sense.

The new logo aims to create a distinct identity for openSUSE, enabling a clearer separation from SUSE. The new logo is expected to be distinguishable from SUSE’s branding and is expected to share a similar style with the logos of its distributions.
        If I take a look at Xubuntu, they just use the Ubuntu logo and slapped the XFCE rat on it. And a chameleon with open suse underneath it is somewhat the equivalent to this.
        Sure text in a logo is not the best way but how else would you empathize the biggest difference between suse and OPENsuse? Maybe they should show a cut open chameleon with its intestines hanging out and crossed out eyes? I'd dig that!

Or they need to rename themselves because Suse is open source already, "CommunitySuse", "Summunitse"?
        Last edited by Anux; 08 December 2023, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          And I bet there would have been more if they made it more public. I only found out about the vote via this article and there was no news about submitting a logo, at least not on the sites I visit regularly. Or they should have kept the vote under the radar too.

Edit: So I looked at their reasoning for a new logo again, but I can't make any sense of it:

I beg to differ, they are both slightly different stylized green chameleons.

If the logos already "differ completely" how would another completely different logo or even one that "shares a similar style" change that?

My take on this, use the current "completely different" chameleon and write open suse under it. Oh and they don't even have to do anything to achieve that.
          Maybe they have been sued by suse and can't talk about it? Else this all makes no sense.

If I take a look at Xubuntu, they just use the Ubuntu logo and slapped the XFCE rat on it. And a chameleon with open suse underneath it is somewhat the equivalent to this.
          Sure text in a logo is not the best way but how else would you empathize the biggest difference between suse and OPENsuse? Maybe they should show a cut open chameleon with its intestines hanging out and crossed out eyes? I'd dig that!

Or they need to rename themselves because Suse is open source already, "CommunitySuse", "Summunitse"?
          People on here bash Ubuntu / Canonical but haven't they a clue on who owns 'SUSE'/OpenSUSE? It's as bad as the Fedora / RedHat/ IBM ownership.

There's no need to re-do the SUSE logo - it's fine and there's been no confusion between the two for many decades.

Perhaps, these companies should concentrate on the bugs and problems in their operating systems?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Minimalism. That's the problem. You can only do so much with two lines and a 300px drawing space.
            The world did a lot more with 32×32 icons (with 16 colors) back in the day than many designers are able to do today with 300x300 px.

Comment

People on here bash Ubuntu / Canonical but haven't they a clue on who owns 'SUSE'/OpenSUSE? It's as bad as the Fedora / RedHat/ IBM ownership.

There's no need to re-do the SUSE logo - it's fine and there's been no confusion between the two for many decades.

Perhaps, these companies should concentrate on the bugs and problems in their operating systems?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSE
              I don't quite understand what you mean..., as far as I'm concerned Canonical, Red Hat, SUSE etc. they are large companies that contribute to the Linux ecosystem (some more, some less) fortunately they are there!
              openSUSE is just trying to do a rebrand, Ubuntu itself has done it several times like many others, I don't understand what the problem is?​

Comment

I don't quite understand what you mean..., as far as I'm concerned Canonical, Red Hat, SUSE etc. they are large companies that contribute to the Linux ecosystem (some more, some less) fortunately they are there!
                openSUSE is just trying to do a rebrand, Ubuntu itself has done it several times like many others, I don't understand what the problem is?​
                The problem is all these companies you just mentioned - although, ironically, Canonical less so as far as I can tell - maybe the least evil - are part of horrible, shady ownership groups or corporations. Yet, ppl here champion them - as 'Linux contributors to the ecosystem' - as if that will negate any of the association.

Comment

Where the the option to vote for the current one?

Comment

The problem is all these companies you just mentioned - although, ironically, Canonical less so as far as I can tell - maybe the least evil - are part of horrible, shady ownership groups or corporations. Yet, ppl here champion them - as 'Linux contributors to the ecosystem' - as if that will negate any of the association.
                    If you know of crimes, report them or at least tell us about them otherwise you're just talking nonsense without any proof, among other things "horrible and shady companies" doesn't mean anything.

Comment

If you know of crimes, report them or at least tell us about them otherwise you're just talking nonsense without any proof, among other things "horrible and shady companies" doesn't mean anything.
                      If you say so, man. Are you applying to work at one?

Comment

Working...
                      X