Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Mainline Kernel PPA Is Back To Providing The Latest Linux Kernel Builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's Mainline Kernel PPA Is Back To Providing The Latest Linux Kernel Builds

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Mainline Kernel PPA Is Back To Providing The Latest Linux Kernel Builds

For those Ubuntu Linux users enjoying the Ubuntu Mainline Kernel PPA for having the very latest kernel stable point releases or being able to test daily Git kernel builds with ease or weekly RCs, the Ubuntu Mainline Kernel PPA returned this week after a month of downtime...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not the first time I saw it stopping delivery of kernel builds. A while ago it was failing the builds of the AMD64 and other kernel architectures for a good few days.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Not the first time I saw it stopping delivery of kernel builds. A while ago it was failing the builds of the AMD64 and other kernel architectures for a good few days.
      While true, I am happy that this service is available again - and would hope, that there would exist
      a rolling package for kernel and mesa (maybe with dependencies to reach correct Vulkan conformance level etc.) to
      follow mainline (maybe beginning with Linux x.y.3 to avoid most problems) and Mesa (maybe beginning with Mesa x.y.3).
      But with snap this seems very unlikely - and nice that KDE neon took extra time to make problematic packages no longer
      being provided via snap as in the base system Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

Comment

are those kernels signed up so they can be booted up on the secure boot enabled computers? do they have canonical apparmor patches so the snaps are somehow safe?

Comment

or being able to test daily Git kernel builds with ease or weekly RCs
          You really should be compiling those git and rc kernels yourself Michael. Handing that work off to a third party just defeats the purpose. Those pre-release sources are made available so that you will build and test them yourself on your own equipment and file bug reports, not for you to run competitive benchmarks with pre-compiled binaries.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
            are those kernels signed up so they can be booted up on the secure boot enabled computers? do they have canonical apparmor patches so the snaps are somehow safe?
            Nope ... for example : https://kernel.ubuntu.com/mainline/v6.6.1/

Test amd64/build succeeded (rc=0, on=amd64, time=0:09:24, log=amd64/log)
            amd64/linux-headers-6.6.1-060601-generic_6.6.1-060601.202311151749_amd64.deb
            amd64/linux-headers-6.6.1-060601_6.6.1-060601.202311151749_all.deb
            amd64/linux-image-unsigned-6.6.1-060601-generic_6.6.1-060601.202311151749_amd64.deb
            amd64/linux-modules-6.6.1-060601-generic_6.6.1-060601.202311151749_amd64.deb​

All kernels are unsigned.
            You can create your own signature, enroll it in your EFI, and use it to sign Ubuntu mainline kernel after install.

Or using your own signature, you can also generate DEB package with signed kernel / modules.
            Last edited by TNZfr; 18 November 2023, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakobson
              They are signed and they have all the same configs enabled as normal default Ubuntu kernels have.
              Nope, just explained before.
              When I had a laptop for work, I encounter the issue on the first ubuntu mainline kernel 'cause it was unsigned.

Comment

They are not signed. You can make your own signature, if you care to do the extra work. Last I checked, all Tumbleweed kernels were signed, so if you really want to closely follow the latest kernels and absolutely need unSecure Boot that may be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  Temporary interruptions because of builds or tests failing should be expected with automated builds like this, I think. They exist in part to detect incompatibilities between the kernel code & build system versions early, I suppose…

Comment

When will they start defaulting their repos to HTTPS? Especially for things like security.ubuntu.com? Quite ridiculous in 2023.

Comment

Working...
                    X