Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 23.10 Desktop ISOs Re-Released Following Translation Snafu

Phoronix: Ubuntu 23.10 Desktop ISOs Re-Released Following Translation Snafu

Hours after Ubuntu 23.10 was released last Thursday it was discovered Ubuntu 23.10 ISOs contained malicious user translations for those using the Ukranian translations within the Ubuntu Linux desktop installer. Canonical suspended the desktop ISOs until the translations could be fixed and ISOs re-spun. That's now happened and this afternoon Ubuntu 23.10 images are back online...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

as it turns out I had pulled a 23.10 daily on 2023-10-11, so it seems like I'll have a little bit of hate speech in my ceph cluster for posterity.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Ukranian
      (Ukrainian)

In before the thread becomes terrible...

Comment

I downloaded the legacy installer version as I wanted to install it on my system. I will download the new installer and seed it do my part. 😊
        Great release, if they do a bit more polish for the new app center in time for LTS it will be one great LTS to use for a few years me thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Typo:

(Ukrainian)

In before the thread becomes terrible...
          It would not be Moronix if the threads did not get ugly over non-Linux topics ... and maybe 1 or 2 Linux-releated topics.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
            as it turns out I had pulled a 23.10 daily on 2023-10-11, so it seems like I'll have a little bit of hate speech in my ceph cluster for posterity.
            FWIW once the OS is installed the offending (literally) translation is gone. The translation in question was part of the installer, which isn't present on the installed OS.

Comment

Ubuntu is offending by itself, not need to add trolling to it...

Comment

I understand why it is a grave problem, but to the point of withdrawing the images? Why not leave them there with a warning and as soon as the new images are ready replace them? Has this happened before for worse security vulnerabilities in the live images?

Comment

Originally posted by SofS View Post
                  I understand why it is a grave problem, but to the point of withdrawing the images? Why not leave them there with a warning and as soon as the new images are ready replace them? Has this happened before for worse security vulnerabilities in the live images?
                  This approach reduces the motivation for people to repeat or react to this, I guess, because it greatly reduced the distribution. And people who work for the project, for money or for free, have pride in Ubuntu. Speaking for myself, I would have done exactly the same thing. It seems a stronger response to an attack on the project.

Probably a significant reason was that distributing hate speech might have legal penalties under UK law which are more serious than distributing bugs of various severity.

Comment

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post
                    Probably a significant reason was that distributing hate speech might have legal penalties under UK law which are more serious than distributing bugs of various severity.
                    And not taking them down (once you have been notified they exist) can have even more serious penalties.

However, if the EU Cyber Resilience Act (CRA) is adopted, bugs in even OSS software may come with substantial penalties moving forward (and you do not have to directly operate in, reside in, or be a citizen of, the EU, to receive a substantial penalty).

Comment

Working...
                    X