Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Tumbleweed Adds systemd-boot Support

Phoronix: openSUSE Tumbleweed Adds systemd-boot Support

For those using the rolling-release openSUSE Tumbleweed Linux distribution, there is now experimental support for booting it using systemd-boot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone know if they are planning on adding snapper support for this? The installation for endeavour says use grub if you want to use snapper so I assume that means systemd-boot can’t.

Comment

That's the final straw for me!
      I'm switching to Artix dinit

Comment

nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
          I know right! How dare they add optional features?! That's an outrage!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
            Tantrum distro for tantrum people

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post
              Does anyone know if they are planning on adding snapper support for this? The installation for endeavour says use grub if you want to use snapper so I assume that means systemd-boot can’t.
              Watch the presentation linked in the article

Comment

Does anyone know if they are planning on adding snapper support for this?
                It's likely that's one reason why it's just experimental now. As far as coding goes, supporting it should not be any harder than the current support: each time snapper creates a backup, it should drop an extra config file in a single place. Each time it removes a backup, it must remove the corresponding single config file.

Comment

Great news! I've tried switching my installation of TW to systemd-boot a just a few weeks ago, but it was so fiddly I reverted back soon after. I've been using systemd-boot on my Gentoo box for years now, and I find the overall experience with it much more pleasant that GRUB.

Comment

See this article how to set it up: https://en.opensuse.org/Systemd-boot , second part with BTRFS snapshots. TLDR: it works out of the box using official repositories.
                    I have tried it some time ago, there are still rough edges remaining, such as incorrect or missing default boot snapshot and lack of submenus for snapshots. So if there are many of them it won't be a nice sd-boot menu.

Comment

Working...
                    X