Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu 23.10 Performance On The Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu 23.10 Performance On The Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen 4

Phoronix: Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu 23.10 Performance On The Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen 4

As some complementary data points to yesterday's Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen 4 AMD Linux laptop review, here is a look at how the out-of-the-box Microsoft Windows 11 Pro performance compares to that of the upcoming Ubuntu 23.10 on this AMD Ryzen 7 7840U "Phoenix" laptop.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems W11 has improved a bit with its GPU performance.

Comment

Just a little note on the visualization of the benchmarks: I find the diagrams not immediately readable when the winning OS is always on the top. I think it would be better if each OS stays in the same position, and maybe it's distinguished by a different color.

Comment

in gpu we need mesa 23.2 to be out

Comment

ubuntu is already using mesa 23.2 rc4 maybe the things are better now

Comment

Benchmarking the beta system and still wins over winblows, priceless

Comment

Interested to see how this laptop with the 780M performs on GPU decode on vp9 videos from Youtube, given that mesa has bugs for Reimbrant APUs in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by Random_Jerk View Post
                Interested to see how this laptop with the 780M performs on GPU decode on vp9 videos from Youtube, given that mesa has bugs for Reimbrant APUs in this area.
                use the chromium snap beta, it works without problems

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

use the chromium snap beta, it works without problems
                  I'm on an Arch derivative. Does chromium-beta from the AUR work or is there some special sauce only in the snap beta version?

Comment

Even Ubuntu - one of the slowest Linux distributions wipes the floor with windows. Even without huge optimizations that are present in the newest kernels and with the worst CPU governor. I wonder if slower GPU performance is due to mentioned governor?

Comment

Working...
                    X