Arch Linux Installer Update Allows More Control Over Parallel Downloads, Ly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Installer Update Allows More Control Over Parallel Downloads, Ly

Phoronix: Arch Linux Installer Update Allows More Control Over Parallel Downloads, Ly

Archinstall 2.6.1 was released today as the newest version of this Arch Linux text-based OS installer, ahead of next month's October Arch Linux ISO refresh...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Haven’t heard of Ly until now… it’s so beautiful!!! I’m more excited about trying that than Archinstall even though Archinstall was the point of the article! 😂

Comment

Okay, could somebody please ELI5 what a display manager is necessary for? Why does it exist? Is this some kind of relict from the X times, where the display manager starts the X server, then logs the user in to the window manager like Plasma, etc., so upon logout the same X server could keep on running until the display manager closes and the machine turns off?

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
        Okay, could somebody please ELI5 what a display manager is necessary for? Why does it exist? Is this some kind of relict from the X times, where the display manager starts the X server, then logs the user in to the window manager like Plasma, etc., so upon logout the same X server could keep on running until the display manager closes and the machine turns off?
        A display manager exists so that you can just enter your password and start a graphical session directly, without having to type in some arcane command first.

Comment

For security, you don't want the users to be able to access the raw devices (/dev/video0, /dev/drm0, /dev/input etc) necessary for starting i.e Xorg, Weston. They could intercept the raw keyboard (keylogger) or the raw framebuffer (screen spying). So the display manager user with the necessary permissions has these tasks delegated to it instead.

These days I believe systemd/logind/seatd or something now sets the raw device permission only to the user at the physical machine. This is an OK compromise; if a little messy. OpenBSD does similar. This means only the physical user sat at the machine has the permissions.
          Last edited by kpedersen; 23 September 2023, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

A display manager exists so that you can just enter your password and start a graphical session directly, without having to type in some arcane command first.
            Having an "exec sway" statement in your .profile doesn't sound to arcane to me. In fact, going this way keeps my system even slimer and leaner. To me, a display manager makes only sense when you actually have use for it's functionality, but not just for firing up e.g. sway.

It is well documented here:

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post

Having an "exec sway" statement in your .profile doesn't sound to arcane to me.
              Some oldsters like me who cut their teeth on UNIX (or VAX) workstations like to pretend we still work on such a workstation. Is that so wrong? /s

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post

Having an "exec sway" statement in your .profile doesn't sound to arcane to me. In fact, going this way keeps my system even slimer and leaner. To me, a display manager makes only sense when you actually have use for it's functionality, but not just for firing up e.g. sway.

It is well documented here:
                Great idea. You just broke any kind of remote login completely. And when sway breaks or is uninstalled, local login is now broken as well.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

Great idea. You just broke any kind of remote login completely. And when sway breaks or is uninstalled, local login is now broken as well.
                  Sooo... just log in to TTY and enter "sway" on the console?

Because that's what I do but with Plasma / labwc and that's why I am still wondering for what a display manager is for it it's just a graphical launcher with extra dependencies

Comment

Gnome needs to be started from GDM in order for the lock screen / lock session function to be usable. Without it, Gnome cannot be locked.

Comment

Working...
                    X