Ubuntu 23.10 Beta Released - Powered By Linux 6.5, GNOME 45 & Other Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 23.10 Beta Released - Powered By Linux 6.5, GNOME 45 & Other Updates

Phoronix: Ubuntu 23.10 Beta Released - Powered By Linux 6.5, GNOME 45 & Other Updates

The beta images of the Ubuntu 23.10 "Mantic Minotaur" release are now available for testing ahead of the planned official release in October...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And it looks like, they enabled MGLRU :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
      And it looks like, they enabled MGLRU :-)
      It has been enabled all the time in Ubuntu mainline kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakobson View Post

It has been enabled all the time in Ubuntu mainline kernels.
        Are you sure? I saw it first here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/2023629

Comment

Does the Firefox snap update now, after nagging users to close the browser, without needing to be explicitly get started or better yet, does the snap install in the background and notify the user that a new version can be activated by restarting it? This alone is so distracting and bad UX design to justify hating snaps and uninstalling the damn thing for regular users. For advanced users, it would greatly enhance snap palatability if the numerous mount points would be hidden behind a flag in as many a relevant tool as possible. It would be great if they could fix this paper cuts before the next LTS.
          Last edited by slalomsk8er; 22 September 2023, 11:00 AM.

Comment

One less Snap app. Good news.

Comment

The future is: immutability, Wayland and COW filesystems.. the only thing interesting left in Ubuntu is the ZFS option in the installer. I'm not for innovation at all costs, but those are the basic fundamental bricks imo for a good Linux desktop product.
              Sorry for the free and unnecessary rant but can't stand the obsession with snaps and the lack of ZFS development that could make Ubuntu really stand out.
              I'm guessing it must be hard for them and OpenSuse to compete with redhat dominance or maybe is their opportunity for competing and succeeding?
              On another subject: I lately worked for few big company/corporations in Australia and they all knee-deep into the Microsoft ecosystem. I guess it's just a cultural thing (created by lobbysm and unfair competition/advantage) that very hardly someone would consider anything different... and must be so costly for them in term of licenses!!
              Last edited by horizonbrave; 22 September 2023, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                The future is: immutability
                This sounds awesome until you realise there will be no security updates until you install the next version of the OS. I don't think the world is ready for this by a long shot.

Comment

TPM based full disk encryption is HUGE for Ubuntu in healthcare environments.

Cerner for example uses Ubuntu but only on patient monitor displays that do not store data.

IGEL’s thin OS is based on Ubuntu.

However: full fat Ubuntu desktops for radiology, microbiology, and more will be… very nice indeed

Comment

Today I suddenly noticed that I haven't seen any Phoronix articles in my feed reader for the past few weeks. It seems the entire Phoronix site is behind an aggressive Cloudflare firewall rule that's blocking access to /rss.php from my feed reader (NewsFlash on Fedora GNOME). I can't open Phoronix these days without going through the Cloudflare security check, which my browser can solve with JS but a feed reader like NewsFlash can't. Perhaps Michael can add an exception to /rss.php in Cloudflare?

Comment

Working...
                    X