Fedora 39 Beta Released With Faster DNF, GNOME 45 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
    How about DNF not requiring 3G of RAM just to check for updates, and crashing with OOM with anything below that? I had to bump my swap to 2 gigs just so that DNF can run lol.

https://noobient.com/2022/12/06/fix-...ora-server-36/
    Dnf5 does much better on this and it is available for Fedora via the copr repo. That is a parallel installation and doesn't obsolete Dnf4 so should be safe to check it out. FYI, the blog post is incorrect in some of the details. Dnf4 relies on Python still. Dnf5 is the first version that doesn't use Python at all but the culprit in that older version is the aggressive loading of repo metadata including the full filelists and not the language. Dnf5 no longer does that. Ironically, this was the original behavior of Yum and Dnf4 didn't carry over that optimization because of the switch to libsolv. Dnf5 restores this behavior.

I would echo the recommendation of the post above me. I use CoreOS on some servers these days and it follows the same model as Fedora Silverblue ie) uses ostree and image based updates (with the optional ability to install packages) and it is worth looking into especially if you are not handcrafting pet systems.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
      Fedora 39 is turning out solid - i have already upgraded both my systems to 39 prelease of silverblue and they are working well.
      That's the case usually with Fedora these days

Comment

Originally posted by vancha View Post
        Hah, good! DNF could use a little performance boost ^^
        Just try rawhide. DNF is screaming fast there.

Comment

Just for both of You curious about that. Upgrading Fedora 38 to 39 on Dell r710 work fine. KVM guests are starting like nothing happened.

Comment

Working...
          X