Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manjaro 23.0 Released With GNOME 44, KDE Plasma 5.27 & Xfce 4.18 Desktop Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manjaro 23.0 Released With GNOME 44, KDE Plasma 5.27 & Xfce 4.18 Desktop Options

Phoronix: Manjaro 23.0 Released With GNOME 44, KDE Plasma 5.27 & Xfce 4.18 Desktop Options

Manjaro 23.0 "Uranos" has been released as the latest version of this desktop-focused Linux distribution built atop Arch Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hm... I'm using Garuda Linux and it just works. What are the benefits from using Manjaro?

Comment

It's funny that they went with a Greek spelling of Uranos, probably to avoid all the Ur-anus jokes I was about to post.

Manjaro has always been one of the better distros, as long as you don't enable AUR, if you do you can be sure that the system will be irreparably broken within a week or so.

What I don't understand is why a rolling release distro has a point release designation.

Then again, I am tired of point releases as well, whether it's Fedora, Ubuntu or whatever.

How about going forward instead of Manjaro 23, Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS, Fedora 38, etc, we have Manjaro, Ubuntu, Fedora and so on.

Because in all honesty, the only differences between one version and the next is the package version and even that the differences are very hard to spot.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        It's funny that they went with a Greek spelling of Uranos, probably to avoid all the Ur-anus jokes I was about to post.

Manjaro has always been one of the better distros, as long as you don't enable AUR, if you do you can be sure that the system will be irreparably broken within a week or so.

What I don't understand is why a rolling release distro has a point release designation.

Then again, I am tired of point releases as well, whether it's Fedora, Ubuntu or whatever.

How about going forward instead of Manjaro 23, Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS, Fedora 38, etc, we have Manjaro, Ubuntu, Fedora and so on.

Because in all honesty, the only differences between one version and the next is the package version and even that the differences are very hard to spot.

Installer updates and file system tweaks that can't be done any other way than from a fresh installation. It can also help with spinning up VMs.

If you want funny, with my dialect Uran can sound a bit like Urine. UrineOS.

Comment

What I don't understand is why a rolling release distro has a point release designation. ...​
          A pretty decent distro indeed. I've used it for a couple of years before I switched to Artix. The problem with enabling AUR is that Manjaro keeps their own set of repositories. They're not based on Arch. This in itself makes it "look" or "behave" like a point release distro because they update the software on their servers "chunk-by-chunk" and not too often. Technically they can call themselves rolling - but they just don't roll with upstream.

Comment

:-)
            Look at Rhino Linux. For you ideal..maybe.

Comment

Never had an issue.

Problems arise when some enables the AUR and has no clue what they are doing/installing!

Comment

As long as you don't use the AUR, or use it sparingly (and know what you are doing) then Arch and its derivatives can be smooth sailing for the most part.

Comment

ermagerd, even official US for a change gets the pronunciation correct:

Hi

Comment

Working...
                  X