No announcement yet.

Armbian 23.08 Released With Work-In-Progress ThinkPad X13s Support, New SBCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armbian 23.08 Released With Work-In-Progress ThinkPad X13s Support, New SBCs

Phoronix: Armbian 23.08 Released With Work-In-Progress ThinkPad X13s Support, New SBCs

Armbian 23.08 is out as the latest quarterly update to this Debian-based Linux distribution optimized for use on Arm single board computers and other devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really wish if Archlinux could gain ThinkPad X13s support.

Comment

These things are so expensive, and for a cell phone chip. I'm seeing prices for models with decent amount of ram for $2,100 to $2,300. And reviews indicate they are underpowered. I don't see what the use case is, other than to stretch your battery life from 10 hours to 15 hours.

Comment

Getting strange Freedreno behavior on both of Lenovo Yoga C630 WOS and ThinkPad X13s - on regular Debian 12 with steev kernel (with his laptop defconfig) and all necessary firmwares and user-space services, Gnome Shell Wayland session is very, very sluggish, especially in Firefox 102/115 (but also noticeable even in Nautilus and Settings). Somehow this issue is not reproducible with Armbian, but maybe because Gnome Shell is a bit newer.

Is anyone seeing same behavior on Debian 12?

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        These things are so expensive, and for a cell phone chip.
        There is no smartphone SoC with four Cortex-X1 cores and four Cortex-A78 cores.

I'm seeing prices for models with decent amount of ram for $2,100 to $2,300.
        Lenovo's MSRP prices is meaningless. Just wait for sale and you will be able to get one for 1300-1400 USD.

And reviews indicate they are underpowered.
        You need to distinguish native benchmarks results and emulated benchmarks results in these reviews. For it's real price (1300-1400 USD) Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 native performance is fine in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          There is no smartphone SoC with four Cortex-X1 cores and four Cortex-A78 cores.

Lenovo's MSRP prices is meaningless. Just wait for sale and you will be able to get one for 1300-1400 USD.

You need to distinguish native benchmarks results and emulated benchmarks results in these reviews. For it's real price (1300-1400 USD) Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 native performance is fine in my opinion.
          Good enough, if you're happy with it then I guess it's fine.

Comment

Last I heard these Thinkpad X13s still had broken virtualization and possibly other things. Meanwhile qemu+kvm was working on my RK3588 board that also has 32GB of RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by BillFleming View Post
              Last I heard these Thinkpad X13s still had broken virtualization and possibly other things. Meanwhile qemu+kvm was working on my RK3588 board that also has 32GB of RAM.
              I also heard the virtualization is broken. Which makes these devices much worse than Apple, where virtualization works perfectly (e.g. playing older 3D AAA games in Windows in Parallels). What's M1/M2 missing is the nested virtualization, hope they will add it in M3.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

I also heard the virtualization is broken. Which makes these devices much worse than Apple, where virtualization works perfectly (e.g. playing older 3D AAA games in Windows in Parallels). What's M1/M2 missing is the nested virtualization, hope they will add it in M3.
                Playing old x86 games on recent ARM hardware is not virtualization, it is emulation.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

Playing old x86 games on recent ARM hardware is not virtualization, it is emulation.
                  Windows runs fast in the virtualization, x86 apps inside it runs in the emulation.

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
                    I really wish if Archlinux could gain ThinkPad X13s support.
                    Arch Linux ARM is a thing and they have a generic ARM image which could be worth trying on the Thinkpad X13 no experience with either myself though.

Comment

Working...
                    X