No announcement yet.

Debian Dropping Its 32-bit MIPS Little Endian "mipsel" Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is mipsel really the second oldest? I thought that was m68k, and while that's not fully supported now, neither was mipsel. All the 32-bit architectures have the Y2038 problem, and we in Gentoo are trying to work that out with Debian now. 2GB isn't great, but m68k maxes out at 3GB. Maybe there is just less interest.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87
      manpower you meantersay
      Unless you are from the 10th century or earlier and using wer for male humans and wif for female humans, that ship has sailed. Quite a while ago.
      Last edited by Old Grouch; 04 September 2023, 02:42 AM. Reason: Edit to correct formatting tags

Comment

manpower you meantersay
        ‘Manpower’ is so 20th century archaic, like ‘mailman’ instead of the more modern ‘letter carrier’. I think the last time I used ‘manpower’ was in the early 1980’s. My dad used to use it - but he was in WWII, you couldn’t teach him any new tricks.

​

Comment

Michael the router that is depicted in the article may be MIPS but historically those were big-endian (mipseb). So those would not be running Debian mipsel port anyway.

Comment

manpower you meantersay
            Yes.
            Man- < L. manus (hand) as in manuscript, manual etc
            Perhaps could have been rendered "the limited available hands."

Comment

Originally posted by toves View Post
              Yes.
              Man- < L. manus (hand) as in manuscript, manual etc
              Perhaps could have been rendered "the limited available hands."
              Wouldn't that be manupower? As in manumission? That said, there is also manipulation, without the 'u', which also has roots from the Latin manus. Since the Latin gender-neutral term for a human was homo (as in Homo sapiens) , perhaps we should use homopower? I suspect many would prefer personpower.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Good! I think this one stalled a ton of packages for a long time due to Meson having issues with it. Less problems going forward.
                Sounds like a meson issue to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
                  Wouldn't that be manupower? As in manumission? That said, there is also manipulation, without the 'u', which also has roots from the Latin manus. Since the Latin gender-neutral term for a human was homo (as in Homo sapiens) , perhaps we should use homopower? I suspect many would prefer personpower.
                  Oh, yeah, let us invent some new imaginary words, just for the academic exercise, fun of confusion and to get a good discussion going...

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post

Oh, yeah, let us invent some new imaginary words, just for the academic exercise, fun of confusion and to get a good discussion going...
                    Caught red-handed.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                      Sounds like a meson issue to me.
                      The Meson project doesn't like fixing portability issues generally as far as I can tell, and to be fair, that path does lead to autotools. I always thought Meson was delusional when it came to build system complexity, it's a complex problem to support every OS and architecture combination, and a "simple approach" will become anything but over time.

Comment

Working...
                      X