Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mageia 9 Released With SQLite-Based RPM Package Database, Zstd Compressed Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NovenTheHero View Post
    I really miss Mandrake Linux from the late 90's. Pretty easy to work with back in the day, considering everything was more difficult to install then.
    Mandrake was very nice, it was one of the first to be compiled doe i586 processors, whereas Red Hat at the time was compiled for i386; the difference could be felt in normal usage as superior responsiveness.

The biggest problem was that they didn't know what they were doing, I think it was the beta release for Mandrake 9 that caused a bunch of people's LG cd-roms to brick and the Mandrake people made the problem worse by denying it was anything they were doing and claiming that LG was not following the spec.

This despite the fact that previous versions of Mandrake, such as 7 and 8, and even Mandrake 9 alpha, and every other Linux distro did not brick LG cd-roms.

Shortly thereafter they changed their name to Mandriva but the damage was done. They faded into obscurity from there.

Comment

Originally posted by YBoy360 View Post
      If you want an advertised socializing distro, choose another one. It does not need you to be OK.
      This is the attitude that most Linux vendors espouse and it shows.

Mageia 9 is uninspired, boring, lame and frankly does not offer anything compelling to entice someone to use it.

This is why the open source, free, model is flawed, since there is no profit to be made the developers don't really care how many people, or even if any, actually use their offering. For them it's an ego boost or a resume builder, so the can brag about their "skills".

The proprietary OSes on the other hand, where significant amounts of money were spent to develop and market them, the vendors have substantial reasons to care if anyone uses their product or not.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Mandrake was very nice, it was one of the first to be compiled doe i586 processors, whereas Red Hat at the time was compiled for i386; the difference could be felt in normal usage as superior responsiveness.

The biggest problem was that they didn't know what they were doing, I think it was the beta release for Mandrake 9 that caused a bunch of people's LG cd-roms to brick and the Mandrake people made the problem worse by denying it was anything they were doing and claiming that LG was not following the spec.

This despite the fact that previous versions of Mandrake, such as 7 and 8, and even Mandrake 9 alpha, and every other Linux distro did not brick LG cd-roms.

Shortly thereafter they changed their name to Mandriva but the damage was done. They faded into obscurity from there.
        Its funny you bring up the i586 thing, because I actually just picked up the Mandrake 7 ISOs from archive.org for my P166 that I have. Still super relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

This is the attitude that most Linux vendors espouse and it shows.

Mageia 9 is uninspired, boring, lame and frankly does not offer anything compelling to entice someone to use it.

This is why the open source, free, model is flawed, since there is no profit to be made the developers don't really care how many people, or even if any, actually use their offering. For them it's an ego boost or a resume builder, so the can brag about their "skills".

The proprietary OSes on the other hand, where significant amounts of money were spent to develop and market them, the vendors have substantial reasons to care if anyone uses their product or not.
          This is why I like this precise distro. It is good, and I do not have to care about its popularity or what you think about it, or what you are willing to use. If you are fine with another solution, good to you, even if it is proprietary! I really do not care and I am really happy for you, trust me.

What I do not like is excessive proselytism, and wrong criticism. Apart from that, I really enjoy Arch Linux also because the documentation is great. Fedora, because you get bleading edge software, easily, and Mageia, because it is simple to configure for us.

That's it. Take care.

Comment

Working...
          X