Open Enterprise Linux Association Brings Together CIQ, Oracle & SUSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Enterprise Linux Association Brings Together CIQ, Oracle & SUSE

Phoronix: Open Enterprise Linux Association Brings Together CIQ, Oracle & SUSE

OpenELA has been announced as the Open Enterprise Linux Association that brings together CIQ (Rocky Linux), Oracle, and SUSE for collaborating around RHEL-compatible Linux distributions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    ...CIQ (Rocky Linux) ...
    CIQ != Rocky Linux

A point of clarification as the Rocky Testing team lead - Rocky leadership found out details about this last night. CIQ, SuSE, and Oracle are the initiatives. Rocky Linux has not yet made a statement. All EL distros are invited to participate and I suspect many will eventually.

CIQ is a valued sponsor and does employ people to assist with Rocky, but the Rocky board (and also RESF) have very clear (and enforced!) statements that no one company can control the direction of Rocky Linux. I myself have no business dealings with CIQ (nor do most of the board ).

I'm still learning details of this and from what I've read and understand - this looks pretty awesome. We (Rocky Linux) will probably make an official statement soon.

Thanks!

Comment

This is great. I hope IBM is shitting themselves right now, going “what the heck did we do to ourselves”

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post
        This is great. I hope IBM is shitting themselves right now, going “what the heck did we do to ourselves”
        I can guarantee you they don't give a ****, since they cannot feel a thing anymore, after all the shooting in the foot they have been doing for the past 4 decades. As long as bean counters run the company, they really don't care to anything that don't bring cash in the shortest term possible, because shareholders.

Comment

Copy of Red Hat.... This is exactly what I expect from company with self promotion as "SUSE is a global leader in innovative, reliable and secure enterprise-grade open source solutions"... :-(

Comment

I'm very confused about SUSE entering on this. To me, they are belittling their own distribution.

Comment

*freeze frame* *record scratch* It was that at moment Red Had knew they screwed up.

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post
              I thought the Red Hat maintainers specifically stated IBM had nothing to do with the decision?
              Don't forget Red Hat is also a corporation. Maybe not as big and bad as IBM, but they're still a company, not an innocent little circle of developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                *freeze frame* *record scratch* It was that at moment Red Had knew they screwed up.

I thought the Red Hat maintainers specifically stated IBM had nothing to do with the decision?
                Don't forget Red Hat is also a corporation. Maybe not as big and bad as IBM, but they're still a company, not an innocent little circle of developers.
                true, but RH and IBM have completely different cultures and origins.

I always thought it wasn't a good mix.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
                  I'm very confused about SUSE entering on this. To me, they are belittling their own distribution.
                  If you can provide full compatibility with your competitor then you can also provide an easy transition to your own product.

Comment

I'm sure Red Hat is just shaking in their boots right now, lol.

If i was a Red Hat sales manager, right now i would be crafting up the sales pitch for my people, to wit, look how good our product is that would-be and actual competitors such as SUSE, want to steal our code base and modify their products to ensure they are binary compatible with our offerings.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and right now these people are paying Red Hat a huge compliment.

As a side note, I used to run OpenSuse Leap and then a variant called Gecko Linux on some of my systems, but after SUSE's original announcement that they would be offering a Red Hat clone, I decided to wipe them off all my systems and install Fedora on most of them and on my main system that I dual boot with Win 10, I decided to give the latest Mint a try as recommenced by someone on these boards.

I do not understand these people, Oracle, SUSE, et al, it's like they have no business sense.

What message are you sending a prospective client when your sales pitch is "we steal our competitors source code, rebrand it and sell it as our own"?

These people have no concept of brand identity, when you are a business and copy an industry leaders design, product or service, you are basically saying they are better than you and there's no reason to buy your stuff.

These people have no pride in themselves, no self-respect, if i was them I would be announcing a joint partnership to sell a clean sheet competitor to Red Hat, force RH to want to be binary compatible with your product.

I don' know what these people are thinking.
                    Last edited by sophisticles; 10 August 2023, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X