Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint EDGE ISOs To Help With Running On Newer Hardware

Phoronix: Linux Mint EDGE ISOs To Help With Running On Newer Hardware

Clément Lefèbvre shared today as part of the monthly status update for the Linux Mint project that they'll be releasing an "EDGE" ISO to help in running this desktop Linux distribution on newer hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mint customises their Ubuntu kernel? Is that why it's even further behind than Ubuntu with regards to kernelling?

Edit: spellingses
    Hi

Comment

They need a better release schedule, not this.

The major reason why I prefer Fedora over Mint is the release cadence and freshness of packages (kernel being the most important).

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
        Mint customises their Ubuntu kernel? Is that why it's even further behind than Ubuntu with regards to kernelling?

Behind?

They could take this as an opportunity to make the kernel faster for Snap...

Comment

Stupid decision to be stuck in time like that....
          just do what PopOS does and update the freaking kernel from time to time... And Mesa drivers too, FFS....

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

No, they do not. The "edge" kernel (for this release, 6.2) comes direct from the jammy repository - from Ubuntu, not from the LM repository.

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            They need a better release schedule, not this.

The major reason why I prefer Fedora over Mint is the release cadence and freshness of packages (kernel being the most important).
            LM is always based off the LTS Ubuntu releases, so it's a little unfair to compare it to Fedora, which runs on a 9 month(?) cycle. It's like criticising RHEL for running old and out of date packages compared to Fedora or Arch.

Still, what works best for you.

Originally posted by Marcb View Post
            Stupid decision to be stuck in time like that....
            just do what PopOS does and update the freaking kernel from time to time... And Mesa drivers too, FFS....
            Or at least provide the option, agreed. However, perhaps actively supporting a non-default kernel introduces too much maintenance/support overhead for their team?​

Comment

Okay, I apologize because this post has nothing to do with the article, but I'm desperate for an answer to an Arch Linux QEMU update today that broke passthrough and I know there are a lot of brilliant people on this forum who might be able to help.

Somehow permission rules were changed so VMs no longer run, but I was quickly able to add various UDEV rules to adjust the problem permissions. For example, here's the simplest one that I placed in /etc/udev/rules.d/99-kvm.rules:

SUBSYSTEM=="vfio", OWNER="root", GROUP="kvm"

They all work great after executing "udevadm control --reload-rules" and "udevadm trigger" manually, but none of the iterations execute automatically at boot. I've spent a few hours on this problem and tried numerous triggers like "KERNEL=="kvm"", etc., but no matter what I do I can't get the rule to execute at boot. Of course I'm running mkinitcpio and grub-mkconfig.

So could some udev expert please lead this old, retired, and increasingly ignorant, engineer upon the correct path?

And thank you fellow Phoronix posters for allowing this out of band request

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Behind?

They could take this as an opportunity to make the kernel faster for Snap...
                Linux Mint removes Snapd and Snaps from their Ubuntu based distro so I am thinking that is not any kind of priority for them.

Comment

And I thought they moved away from Ubuntu

Comment

Imagine using this garbage in 2023...

Comment

Working...
                    X