Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Prolific Packager For Alpine Linux Is Stepping Away

Phoronix: The Most Prolific Packager For Alpine Linux Is Stepping Away

Alpine Linux remains one of the most popular lightweight Linux distributions built atop musl libc and Busybox. Alpine Linux has found significant use within containers and the embedded space while now sadly the most prolific maintainer of packages for the Linux distribution has decided to step down from her roles...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Love to all FOSS devs who often don't see their labor recognized (and some times even punished).

Comment

We tend to take all these unsung heroes behind popular open source projects for granted until they stop keeping the machinery going with their precious time and effort.

Alice, thank you for your considerable contribution to Alpine Linux, have some well-deserved rest, and good luck and lots of fun with whatever you decide to do next!

Comment

So it's either an extreme case of burnout, or something personal.

Comment

Thanks for all you effort Alice, I'm using Alpine in desktop for some time now and I am really loving the work you guys made!
          Hope you can get a good rest and enjoy your time, much loves from Brazil 🇧🇷

Comment

uff...this will be a difficult transition for alpine linux. all the best to ms. alice.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
              So it's either an extreme case of burnout, or something personal.
              Do you know for real?

That's why I don't read gossip tabloids. Phoronix forums got me covered.

Comment

Alpine is such a wonderful distro. I know the package manager is pretty simple, but it's like 50x faster and has 10x less metadata bloat than the piece of shit application called DNF. Some results here: https://michael.stapelberg.ch/posts/...gers-are-slow/

Comment

Kudos to Alice!

I maintained packages for a big, popular distro for a couple of years, but I don't recall Michael writing a glowing review like this at the end of my term. I'm sure it's still in the process of final edits, I'll patiently await its publication.

Comment

Jeez, talk about entitled... now she wants to sleep, too! /s

Thank you, Alice, for your work. I know how it is when you get caught up in something you're really interested in.

Comment

Working...
                    X