Archinstall 2.6 Released For Latest Easy-To-Use Arch Linux Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archinstall 2.6 Released For Latest Easy-To-Use Arch Linux Installer

Phoronix: Archinstall 2.6 Released For Latest Easy-To-Use Arch Linux Installer

Just in time for the next monthly ISOs of Arch Linux, Archinstall 2.6 has been released as the latest feature update for this easy-to-use, text-based Arch Linux distribution installer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's called Hyprland....

Comment

Arch-install IMO was and is a massive mistake, there is some serious head bash wall syndrome occurring because new arch user. I need a questionnaire or test to give people before helping them now xD

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        Arch-install IMO was and is a massive mistake, there is some serious head bash wall syndrome occurring because new arch user. I need a questionnaire or test to give people before helping them now xD
        I'm sorry, but that's quite a stupid take. Making a good operating system available to the masses who may not be able to have the technical expertise for following the (quite complicated) installation instructions is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post

I'm sorry, but that's quite a stupid take. Making a good operating system available to the masses who may not be able to have the technical expertise for following the (quite complicated) installation instructions is a good thing.
          since when was it a good thing to put a gun in a user's hand and point it at their foot for them? arch is a system that breaks, it says it right on the bloody FAQ.

now people go in expecting it will be some super stable system. now they are asking dumb questions bloating crap.

Arch is a DIY distro. there is nothing good about getting it into the hands of less technical people at all, if you want an easier to use distro, go use fedora or something else. Arch will break on you and you won't be able to fix it. and you will waste your time, and possibly others.

now maybe you don't have a lot of skills, but you want to learn, then great use the arch wiki. it's really simple to use. if you can't be bothered with that, then you shouldn't be using arch.

maybe there should be some convoluted unlocking process ot something, but allowing any dick or joe to simple install arch, is not to their benefit

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post

I think you missed the sarcasm there. That archinstall has a lot of options and choices as well as it's text based. Both are things that trip up and confuse new users.​

since when was it a good thing to put a gun in a user's hand and point it at their foot for them? arch is a system that breaks, it says it right on the bloody FAQ.

now people go in expecting it will be some super stable system. now they are asking dumb questions bloating crap.

Arch is a DIY distro. there is nothing good about getting it into the hands of less technical people at all, if you want an easier to use distro, go use fedora or something else. Arch will break on you and you won't be able to fix it. and you will waste your time, and possibly others.

now maybe you don't have a lot of skills, but you want to learn, then great use the arch wiki. it's really simple to use. if you can't be bothered with that, then you shouldn't be using arch.

maybe there should be some convoluted unlocking process ot something, but allowing any dick or joe to simple install arch, is not to their benefit
            Or not.....

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I think you missed the sarcasm there. That archinstall has a lot of options and choices as well as it's text based. Both are things that trip up and confuse new users.​

Or not.....
              The issue was never about Arch install itself, the issue is decreasing the barriers for new users so much significantly that they do not have the ability to maintain their own system. Arch install itself in isolation I actually like, it's straightforward to use, it's pretty flexible.

what I don't like is getting DMs asking how to fix a super basic problem that just needs you to update the keyring first, or add a new gpg key, because I've been getting a lot more of those lately.

and the vast majority these questions I and others I know are getting, are all issues anybody who's installed the traditional way, would have the skills to figure out themselves just by the wiki.

And of course when we say RTFM people start complaining, despite arch explicitly being a DIY distro, not get someone else to do it, a do-it-yourself distro.

there are so many stupid and aggravating issues that arch users are now getting, that I'm legitimately considering not offering support to arch users for a variety of stuff i help with unless they can prove a degree of competency. it's a waste of my time.

I've already started to just ignore half of the stuff anyways.

Comment

The issue was never about Arch install itself, the issue is decreasing the barriers for new users so much significantly that they do not have the ability to maintain their own system. Arch install itself in isolation I actually like, it's straightforward to use, it's pretty flexible.

what I don't like is getting DMs asking how to fix a super basic problem that just needs you to update the keyring first, or add a new gpg key, because I've been getting a lot more of those lately.

and the vast majority these questions I and others I know are getting, are all issues anybody who's installed the traditional way, would have the skills to figure out themselves just by the wiki.

And of course when we say RTFM people start complaining, despite arch explicitly being a DIY distro, not get someone else to do it, a do-it-yourself distro.

there are so many stupid and aggravating issues that arch users are now getting, that I'm legitimately considering not offering support to arch users for a variety of stuff i help with unless they can prove a degree of competency. it's a waste of my time.

Well, at least you're honest...
                Screenshot 2023-07-31 083142.jpg

Seriously though. I may be judged as having little room to speak, seeing as I'm just one of those freeloading Arch users who doesn't meaningfully contribute to the ecosystem. But the whole "let's keep the platform difficult to use so we can scare away the users we don't want" mindset has always been one that irks me.

Anyway, I love archinstall. Keep it coming!
                Last edited by foolishgrunt; 31 July 2023, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Those are actually very fair points.

But if the Arch devs make Arch Linux more accessible, should they also make it easier to maintain? I lean towards yes. I know that goes against the traditional spirit of Arch, but if Nu-Arch is going to make it more accessible to start using, they should make it more accessible to keep using.

Seems like a lot of problems would be solved if people used distributions that catered to their needs...Manjaro...or if Valve would quit dragging ass on a non-Deck SteamOS.

Comment

Originally posted by foolishgrunt View Post
                    But the whole "let's keep the platform difficult to use so we can scare away the users we don't want" mindset has always been one that irks me.
                    I don't think it's this kind of elitism (at least for the vast majority). In my experience the arch-community is by far the most helpful i have ever seen. But it requires you to at least put in a minimum amount of effort by yourself (ok, i guess you could call that 'user we don't want'...). If you are not willing to at least look at the wiki, you won't be happy with arch. And i don't think that this 'requirement' is negative in any way. Those supporting others do that in their free time after all.

The issue with archinstall now is that the installation process is simplified, but everything else is still the same. I mean, i love it for quickly setting up a VM and the like, but i don't think it's wrong to point out that issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X