Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 12.1 Released With Many Bug Fixes

Phoronix: Debian 12.1 Released With Many Bug Fixes

Building off last month's release of Debian 12.0, Debian 12.1 is out today to ship dozens of bug fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Debian, the Mom of Linux distros...

Comment

I never could get into Debian, people swear by it. I don't think it's near as arcane and archaic as Slackware though, which I am running now.

I am earnest and sincere in saying these past over 24hours without sleep while having a great time of applying as much geektape as I have, getting Steam up, configuring the system for a low latency old school DAW without PAM or pipewire<<<---not needed, instead I used an initscript for that and qjackctl'ng right into Mixbus32C. Yeah yeah I could use free Ardour but Mixbus has all the goodies worth paying for.

Even enjoyed the hell out manually installing grub2 post install, plus forcing it to my native resolution of 2560x1440, I like my tty's extra sharp and crispy.
      Last edited by creative; 23 July 2023, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
        Debian, the Mom of certain Linux distros...
        FTFY.

There's RedHat Linux (not RHEL), Gentoo and Slackware all being quite different and using different packaging mechanisms.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          There's RedHat Linux (not RHEL), Gentoo and Slackware all being quite different and using different packaging mechanisms.
          Arch seems to be the big momma these days, giving birth to new child distros faster than I can keep count.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
            I never could get into Debian, people swear by it. I don't think it's near as arcane and archaic as Slackware though, which I am running now.

I am earnest and sincere in saying these past over 24hours without sleep while having a great time of applying as much geektape as I have, getting Steam up, configuring the system for a low latency old school DAW without PAM or pipewire<<<---not needed, instead I used an initscript for that and qjackctl'ng right into Mixbus32C. Yeah yeah I could use free Ardour but Mixbus has all the goodies worth paying for.

Even enjoyed the hell out manually installing grub2 post install.
            I absolutely love Debian 11. Granted, I'm not doing anything really custom with it. But Flatpak installs just fine, and so therefore does VS Code.

Comment

I've been using Debian as my desktop OS since I think 2018 and have had a good time with it. The experience is easier and better with each passing version, but some of that is probably also just my learning the ins and outs of the environment with use. Graphics continue to be the weediest part, and we're still going through churn there. We would benefit from the end of X, but there will be years of split attention there yet before it's wayland-everything.

I like it. I wish Windows Update worked as well as apt.

Comment

Originally posted by Particle View Post
                I've been using Debian as my desktop OS since I think 2018 and have had a good time with it. The experience is easier and better with each passing version, but some of that is probably also just my learning the ins and outs of the environment with use. Graphics continue to be the weediest part, and we're still going through churn there. We would benefit from the end of X, but there will be years of split attention there yet before it's wayland-everything.

I like it. I wish Windows Update worked as well as apt.
                Debian has been my go-to since 2005 and has gotten better over the years. Stable is just that...stable, and Sid is where the magic happens.

As for Windoze Update, M$ should take a page from Debian and set up a proper package manager for Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                  Debian can "get arcane" when a Debian maintainer decides the default configuration for an application "needs adjustment"...
                  then decides to do so...
                  then decides to package and distribute those changes in the official Debian package...
                  and that can leave users wondering "What is going on here?" when they see the application acting squirrly.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

Debian can "get arcane" when a Debian maintainer decides the default configuration for an application "needs adjustment"...
                    then decides to do so...
                    then decides to package and distribute those changes in the official Debian package...
                    and that can leave users wondering "What is going on here?" when they see the application acting squirrly.
                    You might like Arch's philosophy.

Note the first point.

Comment

Working...
                    X