No announcement yet.

Fedora Looking To Better Alert Server Administrators Around Firmware Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Looking To Better Alert Server Administrators Around Firmware Updates

Phoronix: Fedora Looking To Better Alert Server Administrators Around Firmware Updates

Red Hat engineers are looking at making it more evident on Fedora IoT, CoreOS, and Server editions when firmware updates become available for the hardware in use...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

fedora installs fwupd on it's prebuild cloud images.

Comment

A stupid question: will the MOTD ever been seen by a server admin in time?

Comment

I just needed to do a UEFI motherboard update today for my latest eBay workstation toy, and I was curious if Fedora included the necessary fwupd packages on their live cd ISOs. Turns out they do. I used their KDE live cd and it worked like a charm. I did have to temporarily disable secure boot since fwupdmgr expects the shim to be installed on the running system and it couldn't figure out what to do in the live cd environment. But even then it gave a very clear error message.

Code:
        [liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ fwupdmgr update
        Devices with no available firmware updates:
         • CT1000MX500SSD1
         • UEFI Device Firmware
         • UEFI Device Firmware
         • UEFI Device Firmware
         • WDC WDS100T2B0C
        ╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
        ║ Upgrade System Firmware from 0.0.50 to 0.0.60?                               ║
        ╠══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
        ║ This stable release fixes the following issues:                              ║
        ║                                                                              ║
        ║ • Force BRCM5719 lan speed to Gen2 in auto setting.                          ║
        ║ • Update J3/J9/JY BIOS flash tool.                                           ║
        ║                                                                              ║
        ║ 30BE00NAUS must remain plugged into a power source for the duration of the   ║
        ║ update to avoid damage.                                                      ║
        ╚══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
        Perform operation? [Y|n]: y
        Decompressing…           [                                       ]
        Secure boot is enabled, but shim isn't installed to /run/media/root/5E74-E98D/EFI/fedora/shimx64.efi
        LVFS/fwupd rules.

Comment

Working...
        X