No announcement yet.

Linux Mint 21.2 Released With Cinnamon Enhancements, Other Desktop Polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint 21.2 Released With Cinnamon Enhancements, Other Desktop Polishing

Phoronix: Linux Mint 21.2 Released With Cinnamon Enhancements, Other Desktop Polishing

Linux Mint 21.2 has been released today as the newest update to this Ubuntu 22.04 LTS based Linux distribution known for its Cinnamon desktop environment and other Linux desktop focused refinements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mint seems to suffer from weird bugs that are difficult to isolate and explain.

Over the years I have had problems with the installer, despite being basically the same installer used by various other distros that will install just fine on my hardware.

Numerous Mint versions and editions have a weird bug where the system will run fine for days and all of a sudden i will get random freezing of the GUI, to the point where I need to do a hard reboot.

You have the oddity that other distros that use it's flagship desktop, that the Mint developers created, running better on other distributions, such as Fedora, than it does on the OS they created it for.

I just wish we could finally get one to rule them all, have all the developers from all these smaller distros just group their efforts into one really great distro, but that's never going to happen because they all have different visions but none of them seem capable of accomplishing what they want.
    Last edited by sophisticles; 16 July 2023, 10:07 PM.

Comment

It's based on 5.15 LTS (ubuntu 22.04 default kernel) and not 6.1 LTS.

Comment

i used to hope Mint would join Solus and make Solus Cinnamon Edition with all of Mints UI/UX over Solus core components...

everytime Mint rebases over a newer Ubuntu LTS the parent distro's issues show up a bit more, so moving away from this and into a desktop-oriented rolling-release stable-but-fresh-updates distro base without suffering through Budgie (I really don't like it, but I know it's a matter of taste) would be so much fun

it's also unnerving that Mint and Cinnamon haven't officially moved an inch towards wayland support yet... I think I understand why...it's a small team so they'll probably hold off until the last moment, when they can rebase to newer Ubuntu and Gnome upstream components when Wayland is better sorted out then iron out their specific kinks afterwards with minimal wasted effort... but still unnerving due to very little official info on their part

other than that it's by far my favourite distro and I've been daily driving it everywhere for almost a decade

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post
          it's also unnerving that Mint and Cinnamon haven't officially moved an inch towards wayland support yet...
          I've never used Mint, but I fail to see how it's "unnerving" that a project that is known for its conservative approach is not using an experimental display server which has given endless headaches to other projects. It's exactly what I would expect.

Comment

it's also unnerving that Mint and Cinnamon haven't officially moved an inch towards wayland support yet...
            Might be because of those Mint boxes they used to sell with Nvidia hardware.

Imagine making changes in your system that wouldn't work with the "official hardware" you sell, but of course if there's any true to that then won't hear any official statement about it.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              Numerous Mint versions and editions have a weird bug where the system will run fine for days and all of a sudden i will get random freezing of the GUI, to the point where I need to do a hard reboot.
              Some parts of Mint like the compositor suffer from massive technical debt. They forked it all these years ago from Mutter but unlike Mutter it hasn't really received much meaningful development, so there are all sort of issues with it and it's just getting more.

Also had a fun bug today where I had to hard reset the machine 10 times just to get a backtrace. Turns out whenever the debugger halts on a breakpoint while a window is currently being created the entire Mint GUI locks up with no way out.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post

Some parts of Mint like the compositor suffer from massive technical debt. They forked it all these years ago from Mutter but unlike Mutter it hasn't really received much meaningful development, so there are all sort of issues with it and it's just getting more.

Also had a fun bug today where I had to hard reset the machine 10 times just to get a backtrace. Turns out whenever the debugger halts on a breakpoint while a window is currently being created the entire Mint GUI locks up with no way out.
                I'm pretty sure they rebased Muffin to a current Mutter during the Mint 22 dev cycle. That was the biggest item in the kanban.

Comment

i used to hope Mint would join Solus and make Solus Cinnamon Edition with all of Mints UI/UX over Solus core components...

everytime Mint rebases over a newer Ubuntu LTS the parent distro's issues show up a bit more, so moving away from this and into a desktop-oriented rolling-release stable-but-fresh-updates distro base without suffering through Budgie (I really don't like it, but I know it's a matter of taste) would be so much fun

it's also unnerving that Mint and Cinnamon haven't officially moved an inch towards wayland support yet... I think I understand why...it's a small team so they'll probably hold off until the last moment, when they can rebase to newer Ubuntu and Gnome upstream components when Wayland is better sorted out then iron out their specific kinks afterwards with minimal wasted effort... but still unnerving due to very little official info on their part

other than that it's by far my favourite distro and I've been daily driving it everywhere for almost a decade
                  Enthusiastic +1 on points two, three, and four!

Comment

What's the point of not using WAYLAND in 2023 with its security perks? (no matter how "not ready" is yet for your videogames fix)
                    Simply tells what you value the most: security basics/core VS playing videogames.
                    Get your priorities right, there's no excuses.
                    Last edited by horizonbrave; 16 July 2023, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X