CentOS Project Promotes They Are "Open To All"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gotar View Post
    Well, SuSE is GmbH (German registry, German law). Then it's been acquired by Novell, but this was already 2003 ...and I remember using NetWare, but anyway - I also remember openSUSE being freely available not much after that. And I got some openSUSE packages back then, while never heard about CentOS (at that time).
    SLES has always been a different distro from the community one and never 100% open.

Originally posted by gotar View Post
    ​There was no Rocky nor Alma 3 years ago, and CentOS popularity was the result of RH success, not it cause. CentOS was barely recognized before. There was Mandrake (later: Mandriva), Fedora, Debian, Knoppix, Corel maybe? and Slackware in the mainstream next to openSUSE, half of them rpm-based, without CentOS.
    CentOS was around since 2004 and was widely used in HPC and scientific environments (that are the environments I know about), together with Scientific Linux (that was just another RHEL rebranding)

As an anecdotal "proof" that CentOS was a drive for RHEL adoption, at one point we needed to buy an Oracle Database license and we needed a supported enterprise linux.

The choice was between RH and SUSE.
    We were already using CentOS at the time, and we knew it well, so the natural choice for us was RH.

We have not even considered the SUSE option.

Microsoft... they might be going after something.
    oh, yes! I forgot abut them, but they might actually play an important role in the Linux market in the next future.

Comment

Originally posted by iavael View Post
      I was talking about support for point releases which in RH term is called EUS Addon (2 years that doesn't look like LTS) and Enhanced EUS Addon (4 years that looks like something that can be called LTS).
      Problem here is EUS is longer than what the Linux kenrel or debian call LTS. LTS is not a unified term.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

SLES has always been a different distro from the community one and never 100% open.

CentOS was around since 2004 and was widely used in HPC and scientific environments (that are the environments I know about), together with Scientific Linux (that was just another RHEL rebranding)

As an anecdotal "proof" that CentOS was a drive for RHEL adoption, at one point we needed to buy an Oracle Database license and we needed a supported enterprise linux.

The choice was between RH and SUSE.
        We were already using CentOS at the time, and we knew it well, so the natural choice for us was RH.

We have not even considered the SUSE option.

oh, yes! I forgot abut them, but they might actually play an important role in the Linux market in the next future.
        The real power move for SUSE wouldn't be forking RHEL like they announced, but creating a free version of SLE. At least to get on equal footing with the RHEL developer license. Leap is NOT the same, it has a shorter support length and upgrading leap minor versions is not as easy as upgrading SLE service packs.

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post

The real power move for SUSE wouldn't be forking RHEL like they announced, but creating a free version of SLE.
          that would be quite unteresting!

it would partially confirm or deny my assumptions about enterprise adoption. (only partially because RH has undermined the trust is these companies)

Comment

IBM/Red_Hat != Red_Hat

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
              This sounds like one of those meaningless results of corporate meetings.
              So CentOs allows others to contribute, like always, that's the statement. Nice.

If only Suse would invest those 10 million USD into maintaining their own product rather than a fork....
              Yeah, I was a bit puzzled by the SUSE statement, spending $10M to fork RHEL? To me, that implies they don't really have much confidence in their own product offering. The reality is that people who want RHEL are going to pay for it. Those who want something close, but not willing to pay will probably use CENTOS STREAM, those who want something a bit more leading edge will go with FEDORA. The fact that you have so many people trying emulate what Redhat is offering speaks volumes.

Comment

Working...
              X