Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 23.10 Aiming To Ship A GIMP 3.0 Snapshot

Phoronix: Ubuntu 23.10 Aiming To Ship A GIMP 3.0 Snapshot

While GIMP 3.0 stable likely not set to debut in 2023 but rather at least release candidates are expected, Canonical is looking at shipping a GIMP 3.0 snapshot in Ubuntu 23.10 in hopes of GIMP 3.0 stable by the time of Ubuntu 24.04 LTS or at least a near final v3.0 state...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GIMP 2.99 releases are much better than the current GIMP 2.10
    Your screenshots make the new Gimp look like the same messy interface that the stable version is now, Michael. But then again, I've never been impressed with the big graphics software programs. If you have to take a 4-year or 8-year upper level education program to understand how to use them, then it's just not worth my time.

I'll say this - I will not ever switch distros because one of them has a higher default Gimp version number. So if Canonical wants me to distrohop over to Ubuntu, they're going to have to do a lot more than that, starting with a significant cutting of the fat.

Comment

The Gimp 3.0 beta on flathub works well.

Comment

Well, it's a nice thing for gimp. More tester for us before stable release

Comment

Is Krita now superior to Gimp?

Comment

I wish Canonical would hire some developers to work on GIMP.

Comment

Is Krita now superior to Gimp?
              Krita is mainly for drawing, Gimp is mainly for image manipulation. Several features overlap, but they cannot be compared directly because they focus on different things.

Comment

So they don't see a chance in hell that GIMP 3.0 would be released by October. Why current 2.99.16 is not 3.0 already since it is better than 2.10? Ubuntu developers are, in my opinion, giving the signal to GIMP developers to release 3.0 already.

Comment

We at Chromebrew just released GIMP 2.99.16 as our second release in the series. 😅

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Your screenshots make the new Gimp look like the same messy interface that the stable version is now, Michael. But then again, I've never been impressed with the big graphics software programs. If you have to take a 4-year or 8-year upper level education program to understand how to use them, then it's just not worth my time.

I'll say this - I will not ever switch distros because one of them has a higher default Gimp version number. So if Canonical wants me to distrohop over to Ubuntu, they're going to have to do a lot more than that, starting with a significant cutting of the fat.
                    The point with Gimp 3.0 is that it uses GTK3 where 2.x uses GTK2. Ubuntu 24.04 will have support up to 2029, upstream support for GTK2 is gone by then.

Comment

Working...
                    X