No announcement yet.

Rocky Linux Shares How They May Continue To Obtain The RHEL Source Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AFAIK Oracle Linux is also compiled from RHEL sources.
    Does anyone know how Oracle handles this situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post

Move on how?
      I know that for use when Red Hat regained control of CentOS so they could apparently kill it (nice!), while shopping for replacements, non Red Hat/clones were on the table for consideration. While AlmaLinux (for us) gave us the best path that time, this time, the other distributions will get quite a boost with regards to a longer term relationship consideration.

We do use CM (ansible, sure wish Red Hat didn't "own' that) where I work. And while some of it is specific to a Red Hat-like world, we could adjust those few things and probably re-deploy fairly quickly.

10 years from now: I remember Red Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Nobody View Post
        Well, since it's Oracle, they probably believe that they created Linux and all software around it, and it's proprietary IP (they may even rename it to Java Oracle Linux).

Comment

Originally posted by Old Nobody View Post
          My totally armchair quarterbacking says that Oracle will strike a deal with RedHat / IBM for a "source license" and they'll just pass this cost on to the consumer somehow.

note: this is not my original idea, but I think it has merit.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Never in my life I would have thought that Red Hat might fall so low.
            It was over the second IBM bought Red Hat. Everyone saw this coming a mile away. Giving Red Hat a second chance (whether by just coughing up the bucks for RHEL, or by using other clones instead of just ditching them entirely and settling for Ubuntu or Debian) was a massive mistake.
            Last edited by mxan; 29 June 2023, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              I don't like this. It won't end well and will just make a bad situation worse.
              Not necessarily. It may certainly cause conflict, but if Red Hat tries to contest it, it might help clarify if Red Hat can legally tell customers that if they distribute Red Hat's GPL code, then Red Hat could cut off their contract, or if that would be in violation of the clause, "You may not impose any further restrictions on the exercise of the rights granted or affirmed under this License."

Comment

"Red Hat and the CentOS Project Join Forces to Speed Open Source Innovation

The CentOS Project and Red Hat to accelerate community adoption and innovation for next-generation open source projects"

Anyone could see it coming. This is just Red Hat being Red Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by awesz View Post
                  "Red Hat and the CentOS Project Join Forces to Speed Open Source Innovation

The CentOS Project and Red Hat to accelerate community adoption and innovation for next-generation open source projects"

Anyone could see it coming. This is just Red Hat being Red Hat.
                  From the comments surrounding this issue, it seems the community will accelerate adoption and innovation for Debian, SUSE, and Ubuntu. With negativity being so common in competitive environments, it is good to see Red Hat take the high road and speak well of these other projects.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post

It was over the second IBM bought Red Hat. Everyone saw this coming a mile away. Giving Red Hat a second chance (whether by just coughing up the bucks for RHEL, or by using other clones instead of just ditching them entirely and settling for Ubuntu or Debian) was a massive mistake.
                    There's SUSE...

Comment

There was recent supreme court decision that contracts based on state law cannot be used to further limit copyrights you don't own. It had to do with Google posting song lyrics from a site that transcribes them, and so does not own a copyright to the lyrics. The decision makes clear copyrights are federal law and state contract law cannot be used to make a claim. I wonder if that decision is a precedent that would help in this situation.

One article about the decision https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-sup...cs-2023-06-26/

Comment

Working...
                      X