Rocky Linux Shares How They May Continue To Obtain The RHEL Source Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Linux Shares How They May Continue To Obtain The RHEL Source Code

Phoronix: Rocky Linux Shares How They May Continue To Obtain The RHEL Source Code

Following Red Hat's decision earlier this month to limit access to the Red Hat Enterprise Linux source code and that leading to downstreams scrambling to figure out their paths forward to avoid tracking CentOS Stream instead and still aiming to offer 1:1 RHEL compatibility without being restricted by the Red Hat Customer Portal, the Rocky Linux distribution today expressed a few of the ideas they are considering...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is from the RHEL GPLv2 Based EULA:

2. Intellectual Property Rights. The Programs and each of their components are owned by Red Hat and other licensors and are protected
    under copyright law and other laws as applicable. Title to the Programs and any component, or to any copy or modification shall remain with
    Red Hat and other licensors, subject to the applicable license. The “Red Hat” mark, the individual Program marks, and the “Red Hat” logo
    are trademarks or registered trademarks of Red Hat and its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. This EULA does not permit you to
    distribute the Programs using Red Hat's trademarks, regardless of whether the Programs have been modified. You may make a commercial
    redistribution of the Programs only if (a) permitted under a separate written agreement with Red Hat authorizing such commercial
    redistribution or (b) you remove and replace all occurrences of Red Hat trademarks and logos.
    Modifications to the software may corrupt the
    Programs. You should read the information found at http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/ before distributing a copy of the
    Programs​
    So just patch it to remove all mentions of RHEL and their logo

Also, if anyone from RHEL is around, there at least one style issue in your trademark style guidelines. It's literally a single space. Y'all get paid to fix that so that's your hint, have fun.

Comment

One option is through the usage of UBI container images
      I was thinking exactly about that because I've just created a MongoDB 6 ppc64le docker image and thought they must provide sources for that.

Never in my life I would have thought that Red Hat might fall so low.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Also, if anyone from RHEL is around, there at least one style issue in your trademark style guidelines. It's literally a single space. Y'all get paid to fix that so that's your hint, have fun.
        I don't get the point. Wasn't that the practice already?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's exactly what CentOS, Alma Linux and Rocky Linux (among many) have been doing.

Comment

B-But... the cool kidz told me it's uncool liking the GPL nowadays!

Comment

What they HAVEN'T been doing is reverse engineering all the things from containers, which will soon move to obfuscate a few things (or limit functionality without a license key etc), and even just provisioning online cloud images will require linking a key to a rhn account. This is temporary and manual-labor intensive since Redhat will do something to counter this, and it shouldn't be shocking - Redhat has been clear what they are trying to accomplish and its to stop stuff like this.
              Last edited by panikal; 29 June 2023, 05:54 PM. Reason: Edited to be clear I meant you couldn't even provision the container/image/cloud thing without linking to your rhn account

Comment

I don't like this. It won't end well and will just make a bad situation worse. Instead of trying to find loopholes, they should just respect Red Hat's choice and move on.

Comment

Not-a-techbro trying to understand first paragraph
                  34uwpr.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                    I don't like this. It won't end well and will just make a bad situation worse. Instead of trying to find loopholes, they should just respect Red Hat's choice and move on.
                    Move on how?

Comment

Working...
                    X