Red Hat Now Limiting RHEL Sources To CentOS Stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the actual change?

I thought they had moved the public sources to centos git like a decade ago already? (with other methods being available that did not have patch level granularity - are these being removed now to only leave the superior source access?)

AFAIK this should not make any difference to rebuilds because they already used the centos git? Or is that git repo being removed? Where is the new source then?

There are a lot of emotional comments here, but I haven't understood the precise change itself.
    Last edited by You-; 21 June 2023, 11:12 AM.

Comment

That’s why we need a Linux foundation distro…

One f@ing platform that makes everyone agree.
      Same qualities, same quirks, same bugs, same fixes. It’s time to erase this multi erratic gnu/linux distributions stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
        That’s why we need a Linux foundation distro…

One f@ing platform that makes everyone agree.
        Same qualities, same quirks, same bugs, same fixes. It’s time to erase this multi erratic gnu/linux distributions stupidity.
        Linux Foundation is there to make money. They only do things where someone will give them money. Do not think of them as the "Linux" Foundation.

And no, another distro from another party will not make things any better, it will just add another option.

However that also doesnt explain how it is a relevant solution to the current changes. I dont even understand what the currently announced changes mean yet.

Comment

Now it's time of reading bolsheviks why it's bad for companies to make money out of their software development and services, even when they commit a lot to open source.

These guys just want everything ungratefully free of charge.

Comment

Red Hat seems to go from bad to worse!
            Are anyone from them still working on HDR support at least?

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

Linux Foundation is there to make money. They only do things where someone will give them money. Do not think of them as the "Linux" Foundation.

And no, another distro from another party will not make things any better, it will just add another option.

However that also doesnt explain how it is a relevant solution to the current changes. I dont even understand what the currently announced changes mean yet.
              We need LF to do the key/original/agnostic/official distro, just like google does the original android. Then companies can customize their own based on their customers needs. But we should have an agnostic linux distro to start with!
              Just a big clean unified repo where everything starts in harmony.

Comment

By limiting the RHEL public sources to CentOS Stream, it will now be more difficult for community/off-shoot enterprise Linux distributions like Alma Linux, Rocky Linux, Oracle Linux, etc, to provide 1:1 binary compatible builds against given RHEL releases.
                OK, what am I missing here. The blog post as I understand it just says that the code will now be available in the CentOS Stream repo and not duplicated in github. How is this making things more difficult?

The blog post clearly states:
                To be clear, this change does not signify any changes to the CentOS Project, CentOS Stream or source availability for CentOS Stream or CentOS SIGs."

Comment

We need LF to do the key/original/agnostic/official distro, just like google does the original android. Then companies can customize their own based on their customers needs. But we should have an agnostic linux distro to start with!
                  systemd does partially that and there was anything but harmony for it, even if 99,9999% of the servers and users rely on it nowadays.

Imagine the same for a distro...

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    Bad because distributions like Oracle, Scientific, Rocky and Alma can no longer freeload off Red Hat's development efforts.
                    Now that's a fucking good thing to me.
                    The only people who are pissed off at this are those who wanted to freeload off RHEL without paying a cent.
                    i just have to ask.... isn't freeload not a concept of opensource and free software in general ?

years ago i switched from debian to RPM distro Fedora but really man with that toxic behaviour i think i switch back to debian.
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Why though? Distros are very different, for different users. Arch, RHEL, Debian, NixOS, Gentoo, Alpine etc all are completly different families of distros. They use different package managers. Developers and users have different preferences.

So there isn't really a common ground other than the Linux kernel itself (already shared), some common file system layout (shared enough in practise to just work, NixOS is its own thing). Not even the C library is shared, Alpine uses musl instead of glibc. The compiler isn't either, some use gcc, others use clang, some a mix depending on the package. Not everyone uses GNU coreutils either (Android comes to mind but I believe there used to be others too).

So your point of view really doesn't make sense to me.
                      Last edited by Vorpal; 21 June 2023, 11:37 AM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Working...
                      X