Red Hat Now Limiting RHEL Sources To CentOS Stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

We need LF to do the key/original/agnostic/official distro, just like google does the original android. Then companies can customize their own based on their customers needs. But we should have an agnostic linux distro to start with!
    Just a big clean unified repo where everything starts in harmony.
    This is one of the reasons I like Debian. Sure, there are cons to their development, like no actual scheduled release time, and a 2-ish years in between, but realistically Ubuntu also only does a new release every 2 years (from an enterprise point of view). Debian will also never be a commercial release. It's the base a lot of distributions over the decades have used, whether commercial or open source. Granted, I've also been using it since 1.3...

Comment

Originally posted by eagleoneraptor View Post
      Now it's time of reading bolsheviks why it's bad for companies to make money out of their software development and services, even when they commit a lot to open source.

These guys just want everything ungratefully free of charge.
      The Linux communities are spoiled. They think everyone should volunteer to write software for them for free and that it should be much better than funded software development.

Comment

We need LF to do the key/original/agnostic/official distro, just like google does the original android. Then companies can customize their own based on their customers needs. But we should have an agnostic linux distro to start with!
        Dude, that already exists, it's called Fedora. And the company sponsoring most of the work is... you guessed it, right... RedHat.

RedHat is literally the upstream developing Linux for everyone's benefit, and they don't charge a penny for that.

Comment

That’s why we need a Linux foundation distro….
          You seem to misunderstand what the Linux Foundation is. It's literally a hub for big corps to collaborate on stuff, the Linux kernel being one of them. Just check their members.

Also you might want to check this: https://xkcd.com/927/

Comment

I think unfortunately the whole Linux ecosystem is doomed. I wish there was a uniform UNIX-like operating system with microkernel. I am quite fed up with Linux fragmentation.

Comment

FOSS fans: Thats why I dont use Red Hat neither Ubuntu. Down with them!

Same FOSS fans: Dear Leader Jensen, here I am, your unconditional slave with my daily offering$!

Comment

This distro exists, it's called Linux From Scratch. Good luck using it...

Comment

On fragmentation:

Yes there's hundreds of distros but many of them are just slightly changed forks of others or they're simply irrelevant. As long as your stuff works with Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, RHEL, openSUSE, and maybe Arch you have probably covered >90% of all users.

Comment

Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post
                    Just use BSD
                    No thanks! Why would I use pro-propriety OS that's inferior to Linux?

Comment

That’s why we need a Linux foundation distro…

One f@ing platform that makes everyone agree.
                      Same qualities, same quirks, same bugs, same fixes. It’s time to erase this multi erratic gnu/linux distributions stupidity.
                      There was the Linux Standard Base https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Standard_Base . That you haven't heard of it is a hint as to how successful and impactful that project was.

Comment

Working...
                      X