Red Hat Now Limiting RHEL Sources To CentOS Stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kgonzales View Post
    News flash: A story is posted about Red Hat, letting people post their uninformed and deeply underinformed opinions again. We will update you as the story develops. Or not. Whatever. šŸ¤£
    believe me you are not something special here in the phoronix.com forum there are many people who outgun in everything you think to know and outgun you in every skill you have.

arroganceā€‹ is not something you can get points here...
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

• Originally posted by qarium View Post

the anwer no is only in "theory" because in practice free loading is possible.
      Freeloading is a side effect of two things:
      1. Certain forms of licensing such as some common open source software licenses. You are given the freedom to modify and redistribute your modifications. But you cannot steal copyright and intellectual property. As a side effect, you are using the software without paying for it.
      2. Companies intentionally allowing piracy when it comes from people who might otherwise switch to cheaper solutions. For example, Microsoft literally said they were biting the bullet and allowing windows XP pirated installations to update in order to limit malware spread. They also know that it is easy to get valid digital windows 10/11 licenses without paying for them by circumventing checks on license requests. Their large customers don't do this. It doesn't matter if the "little guy" does it.
      Last edited by ClosedSource; 22 June 2023, 02:32 AM.

Comment

• Well... I never understood all that "outrage" since the beginning, while back when RedHat first announced they would tidy up Centos situation.
        All that commotion with Alma, Rocky & others to me resembled rather childish temper tantrums than logical & sensible thinking - much like children cried when 'systemd' first came to the scene(& today many if not all shall agree - systemd? fantastic).

Since Redhat have been keeping CentOS closer to the chest, things got only better - one such blatantly obvious proof is that I, we, can go to Redhat's BZ and there it is.. can file BZ reports against Centos... (before it was a bit all over the place)
        in fact CentOS is still quite messy in places and could use more help & "tidying up" - most apparent it is with dnf repos(third-party & extra) and conflicts, collision between packages which happen too often in my view.
        As much as I am not a fan of corporations, Redhat might such one which, I say, we should appreciate a lot, even... now with rubbish IBM in charge of them.

lots love, x.
        Last edited by lejeczek; 22 June 2023, 06:38 AM.

Comment

• It's crazy how openSUSE Leap and Tumbleweed seem to profit from RedHats "handling" of CentOS and it's successors.

According to openSUSE's metrics https://metrics.opensuse.org/d/osrt_...1&viewPanel=10 Leap increased it's user base from 200k to 600k since February 2021 and Tumbleweed from 65k to 180k.

I would assume that this growth will continue in the next months.

Comment

• Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

CentOS stream other than the development branch is just point updates that are headed towards RHEL a bit more earlier in time since CentOS Stream is the direct upstream for RHEL. Other than embargoed security bugs, this is already how they are handling it to my understanding. The rebuilders are already relying on CentOS stream git repos, they just need to make minor adjustments at best to use a different mirror.
            Does this means that centos stream's git repo's will, or currently have packages that are within RHEL's 10 year support, including security and maintenance patches that RHEL boasts about?

Comment

• Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post
              Just use BSD
              And get nothing. Thanks, but no.

Comment

• beside all the other consideration, I wonder why they're doing this.
                Business was good for RH, it is not that they didn't have paying customers and the stock price was constantly growing.

altogther I think that the death of CentOS and the possible death of Alma and Rocky will hurt their business more than benefit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Does this means that centos stream's git repo's will, or currently have packages that are within RHEL's 10 year support, including security and maintenance patches that RHEL boasts about?
                  Nothing in this announcement indicates any changes to any of that. Refer to these messages for more details.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post
                    Just use BSD
                    there's always one of those.

Comment

• Somebody else will probably simply mirror the sources. A license is not that expensive. So if someone pays and thus gets access, then he can simply mirror the sources somewhere else.

Maybe the RHEL clones out there should get together and do that in a centralized manner.

Comment

Working...
                      X