Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debian 12.0 Released - Powered By Linux 6.1 LTS, Easier Non-Free Firmware Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xAlt7x View Post

Nowadays users without Pro subscription receive packages with known vulnerabilities.
    Yes, they come from the "Universe" but this repo is enabled by default. Also some popular server and desktop software depend on packages from there.

Examples of Ubuntu Pro exclusive security fixes for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS:
    thats really madness thank you for sharing the truth.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Do you know if Debian12 is compatible with Microsoft Intune enrollment?

I am preparing to switch my work machine from Ubuntu 22.04.2 to Debian12 + KDE + LUKS encryption. My company had notified that soon every work machine must enroll in Intune for security and in particular this is a requirement for insurance. Most of my co-workers use Windows or macOS. But I use Linux for work, b/c on the client projects I work on, we use open source or linux compatible tools.

In case you are familiar with MS Intune, can you please let me know if Debian12 would be eligible? I tried to lookup MS doc, also asked the security officer in my company. There is no clear answer.

Comment

Originally posted by ThiagoCMC View Post
        Ubuntu rocks! I'm curious to see if LXD is finally available on Debian 12 as a nice .deb package (instead of SNAP): https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/lxd
        Snaps are great for budget VPS users. You don't need to worry about your moneys. Just buy the bigger VPS plan. Snap won't support low amount of RAM/disk space anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirox View Post

I am preparing to switch my work machine from Ubuntu 22.04.2 to Debian12 + KDE + LUKS encryption. My company had notified that soon every work machine must enroll in Intune for security and in particular this is a requirement for insurance. Most of my co-workers use Windows or macOS. But I use Linux for work, b/c on the client projects I work on, we use open source or linux compatible tools.

In case you are familiar with MS Intune, can you please let me know if Debian12 would be eligible? I tried to lookup MS doc, also asked the security officer in my company. There is no clear answer.
          let the micro$heeite boot licking IT byotcches run their global corruption propaganda method and then just install virtualbox and run linux in a vm ?

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
            what's the point of using it when ubuntu LTS exists?
            I can ask the same thing backwards. What's the point in Ubuntu? It uses Debian itself. Unless you want something like commercial support.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirox View Post
              From docs it seems to only support Ubuntu LTS: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/me...browsers#linux

Comment

Don't neglect reading the known issues pages because there's a considerable number of gotchas that may be relevant to a lot of people, especially if you dual boot, use VLC with Intel or AMD GPUS, use a screen reader (basically, just don't use Gnome if you're in need of accessibility features - you'll get no sympathy from that group), or use grub-efi.

Comment

Great news! I look forward to upgrading my VPS with Debian in a month or so (after any initial bugs have been ironed out, or at least found and documented). I expect there to be a new version of raspbian along within a couple of months as well, which will be useful for my Pis. (On desktops/laptops I run Arch instead, which suits my use of those devices better, wouldn't run Arch on a server though.)

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

You might also ask, what's the point of Ubuntu LTS when Debian exists.. Considering Debian existed for longer, supports more architectures, and generally immune to irrational decisions caused by corporate greed.
                    Because companies generally want corporate support, something Canonical offers but Debian doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
                      just install virtualbox and run linux in a vm ?
                      Technically possible, but would require to reformat my work machine to Windows. Another much simpler approach would be to ask the company to send me a mac laptop. But I want no mac no windows. The small hurdle I need to pass is that @$%^&* Intune enrollment. The management folks understand the complication of the situation. Here it's just a redtape outlier for insurance regulation. The intune policy must apply to all employees.

I am afraid that I would have to give up on Debian 12. To stay on Ubuntu LTS b/c somehow the Microsoft doc Enrollment guide: Enroll Linux desktop devices in Microsoft Intune says that Linux OK but must be Ubuntu LTS. I filed a github issue on that page asking for clarification about why "linux" is somehow reduced to only Ubuntu. But no answer sin +2 months.

Comment

Working...
                      X