Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Making Progress With COSMIC Desktop - 10-bit Color Support Added, HDR Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I tried that and it didn't work for me, I have my own pkgbuilds for each individual app in cosmic-epoch, they are on my github, username is the same, repo is pkgbuild-scripts if anyone wants to try that instead. none are chroot tested tho
    I downloaded it from chaotic aur and it worked "fine" (its really in development).

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
      Over the past 30 years, computer users have grown acustomed to the idea of having a "Desktop" with files and folders.
      Not quite. More like "most of users don't care" and "for 10 years which have passed 15 years ago". Your argument is a bit outdated.
      What do you think the "Home" screen on a phone or tablet with icons and folders is? It's a pseudo-desktop. Not quite as configurable or fully featured as a PC desktop, but close enough.
      I disagree. Home screen is not a desktop because it can't store neither files nor folders (without nesting and ability to store anything except icons they are just groups). I mean GNOME apps launcher supports grouping, so if apps and groups of apps is enjough for you to name home screens "pseudo desktops" why not do this to gnome and be happy? Come to dark side.
      What are you even talking about. Legacy mode? Deprecated? Right off the top of my head, Apple recently added "Stacking" to desktop icons, allowing you to group similar files/folders, and then quickly expand them if necessary.
      Well, as I mentioned before, I know nothing about macs, so I'll take your word. OK for up to 10% of users desktop metaphor may stlill be a thing.
      Windows and MacOS are the most popular operating system. Both fully support and enable desktop icons by default. 86% of PC users are using MacOS or Windows - both operating systems that support and embrace desktop icons
      Why limiting yourself to PC? Each modern phone or tablet is now a general purpose computer. So, if site I've now found doesn't lie, it is about 60% for android + ios, and only 35% for windows and macos. But there is more. Your argument is there are people so accustomed to desktop metaphor they can't live without it. So we must look not at share of traditional desktop OSes, but at share of users who use windows or macOs and do not use any mobile os. Because if you are happy with your tablet's inability to store files on home screen, you can cope with same "limitation" when working with desktop PC. I believe their share is about 10% top. And this is generous guess.
      Do you even know what a "Desktop metaphor" is? If you have files, folders and applications able to exist on your desktop - your system is fully embracing a desktop metaphor.​
      Yes, and I've told this literally in a post you've been quoting. And if you agree with this definition I don't understand why you keep insisting on your "mobile oses follow desktop metaphor" statement.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        @Daktyl198 and Quackdoc:

I think you guys may be missing something.

In order for HDR content to be displayed in HDR, you need a monitor/TV capable of displaying HDR content.

If you attempt to display HDR content on a monitor/TV that lacks HDR support, it will display "washed out", unless you tone map it, i.e. map the HDR values to SDR values.

If you want to display SDR content on a HDR capable monitor/TV, then the content must be inverse tone mapped.

Neither SDR->HDR nor HDR->SDR is a function of the OS, this is handled by filters that can be applied during the encoding process or the decode/playback process.

You need to set you media player to the proper settings or check the driver control panel for global settings.
        You've got my problem backwards. I'm not attempting to display HDR content on a display that doesn't support it, I'm talking about enabling HDR support on Windows on a display that's HDR 800 certified. Not even playing content, the desktop itself will become significantly duller with the colors almost going grey unless you go into your HDR settings and max out the "SDR Brightness" setting

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

if by always did the trick you mean ...
          Did you intend to reply to someone else's comment? I didn't say "always did the trick"..

Comment

Originally posted by vancha View Post

Did you intend to reply to someone else's comment? I didn't say "always did the trick"..
            probably, my bad sorry

Comment

Working...
            X