Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Making Progress With COSMIC Desktop - 10-bit Color Support Added, HDR Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Making Progress With COSMIC Desktop - 10-bit Color Support Added, HDR Plans

Phoronix: System76 Making Progress With COSMIC Desktop - 10-bit Color Support Added, HDR Plans

The folks at System76 have published a new blog post that summarizes their software progress over the course of April on further advancing their Rust-written COSMIC desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well look at that, it seems to be coming together nicely. Is there set date for release? Are they targeting 24.04 since that will be the next LTS?

Comment

Originally posted by motang View Post
      Well look at that, it seems to be coming together nicely. Is there set date for release? Are they targeting 24.04 since that will be the next LTS?
      I can't comment for them, but at the very least cosmic-epoch, their kinda overlord repo for the cosmic DE is actually kinda usable, I would probably put it at the same level as wayfire, it's still buggy, but the major parts work, there are still issues ofc, for instance having either gpu heavy or cpu heavy applications running cause cosmic to crawl. that being said, I have been using it for daily stuff, emails, I have MPV going, and some light programming. (compiling big stuff is a bad time). if the minimum bar is a usable compositor, Cosmic is pretty close, the rest of the DE elements are getting their too.

mind you im on arch. but the launcher works great probably my favourite launcher, I want to set it up on sway. the top bar thingy (can never remeber the name) is super buggy with icons rarely showing up. I dont use the background, I use mpvpaper which is working fine. (allows video for background). XDG portal isn't really usable, it's fine for screenshots (but slow) but video is super laggy, and hardly usable at all.

I think it might be hard for them to hit 24.04 if they want a super fully fleshed out DE. but if they are fine with a 90% of the way there, I could see it happening

Comment

I'd love to have a UX where it's no longer necessary to turn HDR off 99% of the time because so much SDR media and games don't display correctly. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Comment

Kind of looks like windows 11, what's the bet that their window manager won't have smart window placement, as far as I'm aware kwin, xfwm4, openbox, and compiz are the only window managers that have it unfortunately, I simply can't use a window manager that doesn't have it.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
            I'd love to have a UX where it's no longer necessary to turn HDR off 99% of the time because so much SDR media and games don't display correctly. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.
            Well AutoHDR does that and I do believe they plan to do that with SDR to HDR translation. Will it be better or worse then Windows11 implementation? who knows. Windows does allow some very basic tweaking of SDR to HDR,

I'd like to see Linux give some more control over those tweaks instead of just "how bright do you want it" slider. Maybe even per app tweak support. Still far too early days.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Well AutoHDR does that and I do believe they plan to do that with SDR to HDR translation. Will it be better or worse then Windows11 implementation? who knows. Windows does allow some very basic tweaking of SDR to HDR,

I'd like to see Linux give some more control over those tweaks instead of just "how bright do you want it" slider. Maybe even per app tweak support. Still far too early days.
              autoHDR is trash. in theory, the compositor should allow you to change tonemapping algorithms. in theory BT.2446a should work fine for most applications. it's not something I have actively tested, but I suppose gamescope + DRM would allow you to test this now, that or record some footage on windows in SDR, turn on HDR and play it back in mpv with tonemapping

Comment

...does it support desktop icons? ...or does it not, and they're are going to tell me why I no longer need to use my computer using a desktop metaphor, despite it being the defacto standard for 30 years?

Comment

That starts to look good :>)

They have a very talented dev team, I hope it’ll be light and snappy as well as being well structured with pixel perfect finish!

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
                    ...does it support desktop icons? ...or does it not, and they're are going to tell me why I no longer need to use my computer using a desktop metaphor, despite it being the defacto standard for 30 years?
                    You also have to understand that desktop icons was a bug that remained as a feature that never had a look on security (thus got hallmarked as a desktop feature with exploitable features), this is the only reason I know why there shouldn't be any desktop icons.

Comment

Working...
                    X