No announcement yet.

Microsoft's Linux Distribution Finally Adds Support For XFS Root File-Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft's Linux Distribution Finally Adds Support For XFS Root File-Systems

Phoronix: Microsoft's Linux Distribution Finally Adds Support For XFS Root File-Systems

While many Linux distributions look at Btrfs or F2FS when evaluating new root file-system options or even something like OpenZFS, in the case of Microsoft's in-house Linux distribution only this month have they even gotten to supporting XFS as a root file-system option...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is a little ironic that one of the original Sys V Unix vendors, now has a Linux distro, once upon a time Microsoft thought that Xenix would take off but instead their DOS and Then Windows 9x took off instead. I think it would be funny if the OS they once swore to destroy, Linux, becomes their biggest profit center.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      It is a little ironic that one of the original Sys V Unix vendors, now has a Linux distro, once upon a time Microsoft thought that Xenix would take off but instead their DOS and Then Windows 9x took off instead. I think it would be funny if the OS they once swore to destroy, Linux, becomes their biggest profit center.
      It's not too far off; Microsoft already has admitted GNU/Linux is the No 1 OS on Azure

Comment

Also, I find interesting that they're using Go for their tools

Comment

I wonder if XFS can these days run fsck/repair on a mounted filesystem.
          It was never a good idea to run XFS as a root filesystem because you had to boot with a rescue disk to run fsck under certain conditions.

Comment

fsck implementation won't deal with mounted fs in most cases anyway.
            Code:
            # mount /dev/ram0 /mnt
            # fsck /dev/ram0
            fsck from util-linux 2.38.1
            e2fsck 1.46.5 (30-Dec-2021)
            /dev/ram0 is mounted.
            e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.
            ​

Comment

finally! The year of Desktop Linux is near ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA50jmu2Xe8

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                Also, I find interesting that they're using Go for their tools
                Not to start an offtopic but I like this, I used it a little (a long time ago) and found it modern and you can exec your app like a python script or you can compile&run as a native app and both features are there by default. It had some core issues and it prolly still does.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Not to start an offtopic but I like this, I used it a little (a long time ago) and found it modern and you can exec your app like a python script or you can compile&run as a native app and both features are there by default. It had some core issues and it prolly still does.
                  It's interesting they chose Go in the sense that it's developed by their competitor, Google.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It's interesting they chose Go in the sense that it's developed by their competitor, Google.
                    oh, iirc they also use Chromium as the base for their Edge browser, seems like Microsoft is living the fate of IBM.

Comment

Working...
                    X