No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi OS Updated - Now Powered By Linux 6.1 LTS, Updated libcamera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad that the current podman version is unusable. Having a libre rootless container manager for SBCs is crucial IMO.

I wonder if they tested all the vcgencmd features this time.

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post

The switch to 64-bit kernel mode with 32-bit userspace has broken some software - like anything that uses mongodb. Use /boot/config.txt option

arm_64bit=0

to work around the problem.​
    I need to save this somewhere for the next person that asks me to help them with UniFi Controller (uses mongodb).

Originally posted by mangeek View Post

I believe they're on a fully open source graphics stack within Linux. The Raspberry Pis are super weird before Linux boots though, and need some stuff from upstream so the VideoCore can initialize the CPU.

I really wish the Raspberry Pi folks would 'unweird' their hardware platform with the 5; it would be nice if they booted the CPU to a UEFI firmware and used a GPU that doesn't take four years to get mainlined into the Kernel and Mesa. I want to just download and install regular Linux ARM64 ISOs instead of custom Raspberry Pi spins.
    Custom images are always a PITA when it comes to compatibility or just trying to figure out what the maintainer(s) changed from the vanilla distro. I've seen some wack **** out there custom sshd configs with insane defaults etc. I ended up sending hours and hours building my own images. I blame Raspberry Pi foundation for this.

If you like to live on the edge, try this at your own risk: https://github.com/pftf/RPi4

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
      Sad that the current podman version is unusable. Having a libre rootless container manager for SBCs is crucial IMO.

I wonder if they tested all the vcgencmd features this time.

I need to save this somewhere for the next person that asks me to help them with UniFi Controller (uses mongodb).

Custom images are always a PITA when it comes to compatibility or just trying to figure out what the maintainer(s) changed from the vanilla distro. I've seen some wack **** out there custom sshd configs with insane defaults etc. I ended up sending hours and hours building my own images. I blame Raspberry Pi foundation for this.

If you like to live on the edge, try this at your own risk: https://github.com/pftf/RPi4
      How can I set it up on the SD/USB to run debian-bookworm-DI-rc2-arm64-netinst.iso ?
      Last edited by DRanged; 04 May 2023, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Interestingly, their own download page at https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/ still shows the version from Feb 23rd.

Edit: They've updated the page with the latest version
        Last edited by kobblestown; 04 May 2023, 08:32 AM. Reason: Factual correction

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post

Use rpilocator.com to find RPi in stock at list price. Don't pay scalpers.

The switch to 64-bit kernel mode with 32-bit userspace has broken some software - like anything that uses mongodb. Use /boot/config.txt option

arm_64bit=0

to work around the problem.​
          Oh 64-bit kernel with 32bit userspace - great, I have always thought it to be the best combination for a desktop.

Comment

I'm excited to update my RPi4, hopefully they enabled MGLRU

Comment

Now if only the raspi foundation weren't turning into a bag of jerks.

Comment

Matlab on the raspi? what licence is that, or is it just support for being a client-device controlled from matlab running on a host computer?

Comment

I've always had good luck with just using the standard PI OS (32 or 64 bit) for all my Linux needs as they offer the slim versions as well as the full house versions for everything I need Linux for. Boot from USB or SD . Whatever floats your boat, but I'll stick with PI OS as the distribution. Most times my access is simple ssh and download my projects with sftp. Or in some cases develop right on the platform with ssh. I've also started playing around with Ultibo bare metal programming (without the Linux overhead) which has been interesting. Need to download and try the new kernel ... But I bet ... as usual... I won't be able to tell the difference unless they changed some standard configs again .

It is just the availability of the platform CM4 or RPI4 that has been an issue.

Comment

After using RPis extensively for years, and snubbing the rest of the market, the market scarcity and scalpers got me to explore other options. Picked up a pair of Libre Renegades off of Amazon for 40$ for the 4GB model. Compares favorably to the ~90$$+ RPi4. Physical form factor is the same, same GPIO pins as RPi. Makes a nice replacement for the time being, until/unless RPi supply returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Forge View Post
                      After using RPis extensively for years, and snubbing the rest of the market, the market scarcity and scalpers got me to explore other options. Picked up a pair of Libre Renegades off of Amazon for 40$ for the 4GB model. Compares favorably to the ~90$$+ RPi4. Physical form factor is the same, same GPIO pins as RPi. Makes a nice replacement for the time being, until/unless RPi supply returns.
                      Can still buy beaglebones too, and they're supported by NetBSD

Comment

Working...
                      X