Raspberry Pi OS Updated - Now Powered By Linux 6.1 LTS, Updated libcamera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi OS Updated - Now Powered By Linux 6.1 LTS, Updated libcamera

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi OS Updated - Now Powered By Linux 6.1 LTS, Updated libcamera

Raspberry Pi has released a new version of Raspberry Pi OS as their Debian Linux based distribution currently built atop the Debian 11 "Bullseye" base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now if only RPI platform(s) were readily available at non-scalper prices..... Still haven't seen any in the regular channels.

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
      Now if only RPI platform(s) were readily available at non-scalper prices..... Still haven't seen any in the regular channels.
      Use rpilocator.com to find RPi in stock at list price. Don't pay scalpers.

The switch to 64-bit kernel mode with 32-bit userspace has broken some software - like anything that uses mongodb. Use /boot/config.txt option

arm_64bit=0

to work around the problem.​

Comment

Doe they fully rely on mesa for OpenGL and Vulkan or does it still ship with the closed source drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
          If they were to break with tradition and announce the Raspberry Pi 5, then the supply situation should improve due to the Osborne effect. I do not expect them to do it though.

Comment

benchmarks agaist the rockchip rk3388s? by the way do we ever get the GPU benchmark article for the RK3388s ?
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post

Use rpilocator.com to find RPi in stock at list price. Don't pay scalpers.

The switch to 64-bit kernel mode with 32-bit userspace has broken some software - like anything that uses mongodb. Use /boot/config.txt option

arm_64bit=0

to work around the problem.​
              Yeah, for many years now I have been using Raspberry Pi's to display multiple video streams from security cameras. Using omxplayer, they stream the videos with pure hardware acceleration so they work great for this task. Recently I started working on upgrading my system to a newer version, and I realized that omxplayer does not run on a 64-bit kernel and no work is being done to make it compatible. I tried various other methods of streaming the videos, but none of them came anywhere close to the performance that you get out of omxplayer. I ended up just going with the 32-bit version of Arch Linux ARM, so I would be on a rolling release.

Comment

Don't pay scalpers.
                That is one thing I don't do. I've just been 'waiting'... Not that hard to wait, as I do have older models to work with if needed. When each new model came out, I ended up with several of them... Get while the iron is hot so to speak. I do have a couple of new projects though that I'd like RPI-4s for though. So it goes.
                Last edited by rclark; 03 May 2023, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                  Doe they fully rely on mesa for OpenGL and Vulkan or does it still ship with the closed source drivers?
                  I believe they're on a fully open source graphics stack within Linux. The Raspberry Pis are super weird before Linux boots though, and need some stuff from upstream so the VideoCore can initialize the CPU.

I really wish the Raspberry Pi folks would 'unweird' their hardware platform with the 5; it would be nice if they booted the CPU to a UEFI firmware and used a GPU that doesn't take four years to get mainlined into the Kernel and Mesa. I want to just download and install regular Linux ARM64 ISOs instead of custom Raspberry Pi spins.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post

I believe they're on a fully open source graphics stack within Linux. The Raspberry Pis are super weird before Linux boots though, and need some stuff from upstream so the VideoCore can initialize the CPU.

I really wish the Raspberry Pi folks would 'unweird' their hardware platform with the 5; it would be nice if they booted the CPU to a UEFI firmware and used a GPU that doesn't take four years to get mainlined into the Kernel and Mesa. I want to just download and install regular Linux ARM64 ISOs instead of custom Raspberry Pi spins.
                    Exactly that

Comment

Working...
                    X