No announcement yet.

Manjaro 22.1 "Talos" Released With Various Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used it for a bit while distro hopping in the past. I get the appeal of "easy Arch" and the customizations like the Zsh config out of the box are nice. I just can't get over the weird quasi rolling nature of the whole project. Even Fedora as a fixed release distro updates major components like DEs mid-release more quickly at times (e.g. KDE 5.25). If I want rolling, I want the damn thing to really roll. If I don't want rolling, Fedora has basically mastered "very recent and well tested".

Also, posts about what are essentially installer refreshes for rolling distros are kind of strange. There's no article every day about the new Tumbleweed install media. And the way the article is written seems to imply that GNOME is some flagship DE for Manjaro while it isn't. The "alternative flavor" of KDE always seemed to get the most interest from philm and others, with XFCE behind that as the official flagship.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I stick my nose at it primarily because I've always had issues with it, both on my computers as well as my dad's. Even Arch (and Endeavor/Antergos) was less troublesome than Manjaro. Never again.
      Having it installed on a family members laptop a Lenovo Legion 5 and my own custom built desktop has presented nothing that could not be fixed via console. I think it all depends on use case and hardware that it is supplied for. I know lots of people despise it. Serious issues have not been my experience. The issues I ran into were easily fixed with just pacman.

Everybody is different and along with that their preferences.
      Last edited by creative; 22 April 2023, 12:10 PM.

Comment

guess ill check on manjarno again in a few days to see if there is any new screwups

Comment

I run Arch as my workstation OS and Manjaro for my home theater and common data server, and I've rarely had a problem with Manjaro over the last 5 years or so. It's not updated as quickly as Arch, but the stability it offers is excellent for a rolling distro. It also makes the maintenance of my two computers much easier as most things on Arch work the same on Manjaro.

Comment

I like(d) Manjaro and have found it to be a stable distro as long as I don't enable AUR whenever I have done that it's just like every other Arch based distro, within a day or two it breaks to the point where I just decide to get rid of it.

For years I considered Ubuntu Mate to be the best distro available, but all Ubuntu based distros i have tried seem to suffer from Ubuntu rot, similar to the old Windows rot, where the OS would just slow down over time. With Ubuntu I also get freezing of the gui eventually, to the point where I start thinking I'm having a hardware failure.

The two most stable Linux distros I have ever used were the original Red Hat (prior to Fedora), with the Ximian Gnome desktop, Suse and of the modern versions Fedora and OpenSuse.

That's why I eventually decided to install Fedora 37 on my laptop and Gecko Leap (what a great distro this is) on my desktop.
            Last edited by sophisticles; 23 April 2023, 12:33 PM.

Comment

I see most people in this thread just fail to read official forum's announcements and blame distro for that. What a shame.

Comment

https://theevilskeleton.gitlab.io/20...newcomers.html manjaro reminds me of avast, a flood of mostly casual people that for some reason use it based on word of mouth or marketing rather than technical and tested merits

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                I was scared to install Arch from scratch without installer
                you should be scared of installers, the pure arch way means you clearly know what's going on at all times and nothing is really overwritten until you install a bootloader or if you decide to format

i even installed a new debian on top of an old debian like the arch way (debootstrap) without overwriting anything and was much more satisfied than its rigid mystery installer that wants to format partitions and install all recommended packages (the only thing overwritten was the bootloader under my decision, i can restore the MBR and move some folders to boot the entire previous debian installation as if nothing ever happened), grub or at least debian's generated mess of grub is still insane but i didnt feel like trying to switch at the same time

try the arch way in a vm, it's so refreshing as a single user single partition (for the OS specifically)

also arch has an installer, i havent tried it, maybe the only thing close that i have is alpine's installer which is actually multiple scripts that you could call individually (also alpine's looked like openbsd's, maybe all console installers look the same)
                Last edited by kn00tcn; 24 April 2023, 08:35 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=kn00tcn;n1384310
                  you should be scared of installers, the pure arch way means you clearly know what's going on at all times and nothing is really overwritten until you install a bootloader or if you decide to format
                  [/QUOTE]

the arch installer was the greatest mistake yet. I've given up on trying to help people who use arch, I need to make a questionnaire or something xD. but the arch installer shenanigans has been such a pain in the hind. so many arch users now who ask for help for the most basic of things. it's too much of a headache to help the new wave of arch users

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Yeah. Manjaro was a good distro and I could recommend it to new users. But dropping hw-acceleration was a knife in the back to their users.

I agree that shit was fucked.

It's really easy to fix tho, just install this: https://nonfree.eu/

But yes, it killed the user friendliness of the distro for amdgpu users. One of the best things about manjaro was always the easy installation, you just run through the installer and you're done, all ur drivers are set up, x server set up, everything just set up and ready to go. But now that's not the case for people with amd graphics.

I've been using manjaro happily for years, I don't see anything major wrong with it, but i'm thinking about trying out endeavour just to see what all the fuss is about. The only reason I'm using manjaro is because they ensure that your os doesn't break between updates like it does on arch. It frustrated me a lot when I was using arch (it was the only problem I actually had with arch too). Sure it's not hard to avoid, but it's just this annoying extra maintenance step to read arch news everytime you update, if they had a better warning system for it I'd probably just use arch again.

I heard endeavour has a way to prevent this too though, which is why I'm considering that. There's also Garuda but I hear mixed things about it.
                    Last edited by rabcor; 24 April 2023, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X