Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manjaro 22.1 "Talos" Released With Various Updates

Phoronix: Manjaro 22.1 "Talos" Released With Various Updates

Building off December's release of Manjaro 22.0, this Arch Linux based distribution is out now with its next iteration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Out of all the distributions in the past 22 years of me running linux, Manjaro still takes the crown, for me at least. Just updated late Friday.

When Gabe Newell says to the effect the best distribution besides number one steamos is Manjaro? It's really that good.

Manjaro is a funny name but it's the best distribution that I have used bar none. Weird name, serious distribution. I actually like the name it's like Mount Kilimanjaro, that's what always struck me about it. A "Mountain Linux?" not a whole lot of climbing involved though for veterans.

I still don't get why people stick their noses at it. Ja Ja I know its not the fastest but its good enough. It's a derivative of Arch blah blah.
    Last edited by creative; 22 April 2023, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
      Manjaro is a funny name but it's the best distribution that I have used bar none. Weird name, serious distribution. I actually like the name it's like Mount Kilimanjaro, that's what always struck me about it. A "Mountain Linux?" not a whole lot of climbing involved though for veterans.

I still don't get why people stick their noses at it. Ja Ja I know its not the fastest but its good enough.
      You'll be (probably) surprised, but Manjaro's name actually refers to Mount Kilimanjaro, which the original creator of the distro once climbed on.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post

You'll be (probably) surprised, but Manjaro's name actually refers to Mount Kilimanjaro, which the original creator of the distro once climbed on.
        Not so much, but I am surprised at the developers climb, now that's pretty cool and I did not know that. I would not be surprised if Manjaro's logo is not inspired by the Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero album art. I liked NIN for long long time and still think they are great, it's just now being over the hill the music is too emotional and dark for me as I have aged. Come to think of it I don't listen to music anymore. Something in my being seeks out equipoise. I only enjoy music in video games anymore. Sometimes the occasional listening to the best of Niccolò Paganini, my favorite composer of all time.
        Last edited by creative; 22 April 2023, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Is just Arch Linux, with degraded quality.

Comment

Been super happy with Linux gaming when I moved from Kubuntu to Manjaro kde

Comment

Escaped Manjaro when got tired with broken stuff between "stable" updates. Nothing critical (like Ubuntu) but very annoying. And it died for me completely when they dropped hardware acceleration from mesa packages. Installed EndeavourOS instead (I was scared to install Arch from scratch without installer) with saving my old home partition - and no issues for almost a year. Alhp.dev repos make my install super fast which was not possible with Manjaro.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                Escaped Manjaro when got tired with broken stuff between "stable" updates. Nothing critical (like Ubuntu) but very annoying. And it died for me completely when they dropped hardware acceleration from mesa packages. Installed EndeavourOS instead (I was scared to install Arch from scratch without installer) with saving my old home partition - and no issues for almost a year. Alhp.dev repos make my install super fast which was not possible with Manjaro.
                Same here. Manjaro had (have?) this problem where they support ZFS but don't always include ZFS module packages for every kernel. If you don't pay attention the next thing you know you've updated and lost ZFS support unless you were smart enough to keep a backup kernel around. That not having a backup kernel bit me on the ass with a previous Manjaro ZFS root setup.

I've since moved to CachyOS. They have a ZFS root setup and go out of their way to patch OpenZFS with upstream compat commits so you don't run into not having the module available for a new kernel. It's also Arch with v3 repos (and an easy to use installer), but that's just a bonus when compared to their phenomenal OpenZFS (root) support.

Granted, I switched to Windows last night because I picked up RDR2 on sale and didn't feel like figuring out why it wasn't detecting my GPU correctly....
                Last edited by skeevy420; 22 April 2023, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                  Out of all the distributions in the past 22 years of me running linux, Manjaro still takes the crown, for me at least. Just updated late Friday.

When Gabe Newell says to the effect the best distribution besides number one steamos is Manjaro? It's really that good.

I still don't get why people stick their noses at it. Ja Ja I know its not the fastest but its good enough. It's a derivative of Arch blah blah.
                  I stick my nose at it primarily because I've always had issues with it, both on my computers as well as my dad's. Even Arch (and Endeavor/Antergos) was less troublesome than Manjaro. Never again.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                    Yeah. Manjaro was a good distro and I could recommend it to new users. But dropping hw-acceleration was a knife in the back to their users.

Comment

Working...
                    X