Solus Linux Plans New Direction Built Off Serpent OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
    In this case, it seems like 1 +1 = 0.62. An essentially dead project + a project that seems doomed to never go anywhere. This feels like Solus all over again. It isn't enough for some important aspect of a distro to be "technically better" (e.g. Solus package management). There has to be some real value prop that potential users will cling to and build a community around.
    I came here to mostly post exactly this, but you put in perfectly in your excellent comment. We have such great Linux distros, software, services, and initiatives right now, the key question is what will this Solus/Serpant hybrid whatever do better, new, or different for the end user? Why should anyone leave their already compelling solutions?

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
      ...Then they started adding more DE and i did the mistake of saying that I thought it was a bad idea to do such things when they were already stretched thin and instead keep Solus only on Budgie. Ike even cursed at my for that.

Left and never looked back.
      Similar experience here as I was insulted for requesting features that Ikea apparently considered beneath the distro (like Expose). I also had bug reports that went years without being obviously looked at, and certainly unaddressed. The final straw for me was when I finally found my best Budgie solution in Ubuntu Budgie only to watch Ikey and the Solus devs demean that team's good, hard work on Budgie because it wasn't in his preferred programming language.

I never looked back as well.

Comment

Solus is my favorite, sure the repository isn’t as large but they keep packages that currently have support. Anything I didn’t find in the repository I found in Flatpak. Unlike other rolling releases this isn’t a bleeding edge which is the reason it’s stable. I’ve had the same install for the past 4 years and haven’t had an issue with Nvidia drivers either. Tried openSUSE Tumbleweed and other rolling releases and the amount of updates/time to patch is frustrating. I found eopkg to be quick and efficient.

This is exciting news and can’t wait to see its future.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
          Tried openSUSE Tumbleweed and other rolling releases and the amount of updates/time to patch is frustrating.
          Just one quick note on Tumbleweed that isn't necessarily obvious. You don't have to update every single time one is available (which is almost daily). You can even pin yourself to specific snapshots with tumbleweed-cli. One of the nice things about Tumbleweed is that because every snapshot is a full build of the whole system, you can go months between updates if you want without breakage. Most other rolling distros can end up in a bad state if you don't update them somewhat consistently. Now excuse me while I go update 126 packages .

Comment

Solus is updating again. And with an improved repository framework to boot.

'The ship is faster than ever, Captain.'

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
              Solus is updating again. And with an improved repository framework to boot.

'The ship is faster than ever, Captain.'
              Fantastic news! Just keeps getting better and better. I don’t see myself using any other distro for my personal desktop use.

Comment

Working...
              X