Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solus Linux Plans New Direction Built Off Serpent OS

Phoronix: Solus Linux Plans New Direction Built Off Serpent OS

Joshua Strobl and original Solus project founder Ikey Doherty are both becoming re-involved with the Solus Linux distribution and moving ahead will be built off the SerpentOS project that Ikey has been independently working on the past few years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds intriguing. I've only ever tried Solus once for a few minutes, there wasn't anything about it that interested me. But if it is ever re-based on Serpent then I'll give it a good long look. It's good to hear that the gang is getting back together again, that distro needs stability more than anything from what I've been reading.

Comment

Sounds a lot like a much needed modernization of Arch.

I like the ideas presented there a lot, as I compile a lot from source these days. Managing that in a more automated and reliable way than Arch allows today would be very welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        Sounds a lot like a much needed modernization of Arch.

I like the ideas presented there a lot, as I compile a lot from source these days. Managing that in a more automated and reliable way than Arch allows today would be very welcome.
        You might enjoy NixOS then, it seems like a system and design philosophy that caters to your needs.

Comment

I’d throw some support behind it for some nice risc V usability… but then again, just starting to “play” with the platform as time permits. (and more/better hardware becomes actually available)

Comment

This is the best route. Solus needs to be the stable rolling release distr and SerpentOS can be the bleeding edge that drives the innovation.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              Sounds intriguing. I've only ever tried Solus once for a few minutes, there wasn't anything about it that interested me. But if it is ever re-based on Serpent then I'll give it a good long look. It's good to hear that the gang is getting back together again, that distro needs stability more than anything from what I've been reading.
              I was a rabid supporter of Solus when it was based only on Budgie.

But one thing started pushing me way: limited software at their repository and requests to add new ones was a bit crazy, like program must be already included on at least 3 distros before they ported it or something like that.

Then they started adding more DE and i did the mistake of saying that I thought it was a bad idea to do such things when they were already stretched thin and instead keep Solus only on Budgie. Ike even cursed at my for that.

Left and never looked back.

Comment

I was concerned that Solus was going to die. The news that it would not was sudden and complete. With the new plans and outlook (and new/old personnel) it even seems plausible that Solus will become better than ever. It is interesting in the blog post to note that Serpent will also benefit from having Solus' userbase relying on Serpent infrastructure and tools. I hope this works out as a win for both of what were previously separate projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
                  I was concerned that Solus was going to die.

They had an infrastructure outage that lasted a quarter of a year and only 1 human had access to it. That sounds pretty close to dead to me.

The news that it would not was sudden and complete. With the new plans and outlook (and new/old personnel) it even seems plausible that Solus will become better than ever. It is interesting in the blog post to note that Serpent will also benefit from having Solus' userbase relying on Serpent infrastructure and tools.
                  Yes, all 57 people still using Solus can put water through the pipes for the Serpent infrastructure.

I hope this works out as a win for both of what were previously separate projects.
                  In this case, it seems like 1 +1 = 0.62. An essentially dead project + a project that seems doomed to never go anywhere. This feels like Solus all over again. It isn't enough for some important aspect of a distro to be "technically better" (e.g. Solus package management). There has to be some real value prop that potential users will cling to and build a community around. You want resiliency? There's already Silverblue (GNOME) / Kinoite (KDE) / Sericea (Sway) from Fedora. There's MicroOS and ALP from OpenSUSE. Running packages from other distros is now stupid easy thanks to projects like the excellent Distrobox. If you love Budgie, Joshua got an official Fedora spin created. I legitimately hope I'm wrong and Serpent is a smash success and Solus comes back to life from the shambling zombie it is today. Ikey and Joshua are talented devs. I just don't see this being more than another small passion project destined to flame out.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

I was a rabid supporter of Solus when it was based only on Budgie.

But one thing started pushing me way: limited software at their repository and requests to add new ones was a bit crazy, like program must be already included on at least 3 distros before they ported it or something like that.

Then they started adding more DE and i did the mistake of saying that I thought it was a bad idea to do such things when they were already stretched thin and instead keep Solus only on Budgie. Ike even cursed at my for that.

Left and never looked back.
                    Yeah, the devs were very unpleasant. I mean: not Ikey, he was always great to me, but the rest… I once made the mistake of saying I disagreed with one decision to not include a library (that was already in every other distro). I said it in the politest way possible, but I got banned. So I left it at that and then installed Arch.
                    But then shortly after, despite being banned, I was notified of new posts in a help request I had taken part in in the past and the discussion had started again. It seemed like there was one guy in that discussion who was fairly new, but they were absolutely sure it was me, despite evidence pointing elsewhere, so they banned him too.

So yeah, very unpleasant, both to me and to others (including you). No way I'm ever setting foot there again. I'm a happy openSUSE Tumbleweed user now and the people there are absolutely wonderful! 🙂

Comment

Working...
                    X