No announcement yet.

Fedora 38 Released With GNOME 44 Desktop, GCC 13, Many New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm now waiting on Glorious Eggroll (GE) to release Nobara 38 based on Nobara 37.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Wow they're using GCC 13 even before it's released
      I've been using gcc-13 since summer 2022 without much issues at all. Most issues arose due to some no longer implicitly included c++ header files, and I do not remember any miscompiled code at all. Or at least, nothing seemed wrong.

Comment

Not an out-of-box experience. My generic keyboard layout doesn't work, and the nvidia legacy driver stopped working as well. Update done from Fedora 37 with dnf.

Comment

Upgraded. Went as expected - no issues. Someone mentioned that the wallpaper is ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder right? So hideous is thus also in the eye of the beholder as well. Ick, it's hideous. When the only issue noted with the release is ugly wallpaper it's clear they've done an awesome job. For the last few releases I've had some funky issues with Pipewire that I needed to fix after upgrading. Those were gone with this release - it went perfectly. Sorry to the artist that created that wallpaper but it's ugly. To me anyway - taste varies.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

Does Fedora replace Cantarell with Noto in GNOME UI? Or is it used somewhere else?
            It's used everywhere else, basically. In all other desktops, for a start. And in apps that don't inherit or specify GNOME's Cantarell font. And for monospace and serif text in GNOME...

Comment

a friend with working nvidia on f37 was saying something like failing or not attempting to load nvidia driver after upgrade

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              Is it snarky and non-factual to say that I'm still staring at a blank homepage, with all their javascript enabled? I understand that it probably works OK with Chrome, but this is truly moronic.
              a bit if you bring up chrome when firefox is the distro default that is strongly preferred by the maintainers to stay default, it's also fairly likely that the site worked in falkon or epiphany though maybe we/i should test that because accurate statistics matter

https://gitlab.com/fedora/websites-a...a-websites-3.0 looks like the effort was here, also they may have learned a lesson or previously forgotten to press a fallback option, now the site actually contains the rest of the html to load without js with only a few things missing (the top popout menus most glaring), this also means SEO exists again because search engine crawlers dont use js either

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post
              Does Fedora replace Cantarell with Noto in GNOME UI? Or is it used somewhere else?
              i think the release notes mentioned noto's increased usage was in regards to supporting other non-latin languages

Originally posted by Farmer View Post
              Beauty is in the eye of the beholder right?
              claiming everything is subjective is what normies keep peddling as excuses, but it makes no sense

our brains are generally hardwired to an extent, contrast/saturation is usually attractive (in a primal way at least), color theory is real, our eyes enjoy following guidelines and focal points, works dont exist in a vacuum with nothing to compare to, digital painting techniques and tools have changed/improved over the years so the generally accepted quality bar has also raised

rules and principles can be bent or broken of course, i've heard a saying 'good design is intentional design', ironic or anti art is still a form of art

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wallpapers most look pretty poor quality/amateur skill/like they used basic open source tools

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktop/Artwork debian's overall seem more suitable for actual desktop computing

guess it's time for me to make submissions for these and other distros (but there's a conflict of usability for desktop and phone screen icon users, a bright busy wallpaper makes icons and labels hard to read)

Comment

Working...
              X