Fedora 38 Released With GNOME 44 Desktop, GCC 13, Many New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

I mean...that's kind of Fedora's thing to be the bleeding edge. I can see why they squeezed it in there. Personally, I've been running Fedora with the all the testing repos turned on for a good 6+ months now and it's been working fine outside of some non-Fedora specific bugs in 3rd party software.
    sure, but normal^W professional people would wait the full release engineering Q/A process and build everything with at least a somewhat peer reviewed final release ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

thanks, I was already alive and had to endure that :-/
      Amazing you're saying that instead of apologizing. I've known Open Source fans are hostile towards non-open source things, I've know realized they are simply hostile. Open Source must be a religion considering what it does to people.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        I wonder what is up with the Fedora website? I'm just getting a blank page. Are they trying to use some super-slick new web technology that doesn't actually work?

Update: Yes, indeed they are. Download page works though. Bunch of geniuses, too smart for their own good.
        it does work, javascript frameworks are not new, technically bandwidth and server cpu processing is saved by not generating out entire redundant verbose html code to visitors, it looks like the top menu is quite the list of items, it looks like there is a light/dark theme detector and toggle

of course i prefer static js-disabled graceful fallbacks, yes it's a dumb omission to not display a simple message, yes i'm wondering why there is no <meta description>, but snarky comments arent facts nor are they being sent to the fedora team

Originally posted by rene View Post
        sure, but normal^W professional people would wait the full release engineering Q/A process and build everything with at least a somewhat peer reviewed final release ;-)
        "Jakub Jelinek of Red Hat's compiler team announced today they have worked their way down to no P1 regressions and as such have now made "gcc-13-branch" for the GCC 13 codebase while GCC Git with its mainline code is tracking development for what will be GCC 14"

it's final enough and it can/will be updated, holding off for 6 months would be stupid when clearly red hat is working on both the compiler and the distro (which needs to be distro packages reviewed, not peer reviewed for all random independent code)

Comment

Originally posted by kn00tcn View Post
          of course i prefer static js-disabled graceful fallbacks, yes it's a dumb omission to not display a simple message, yes i'm wondering why there is no <meta description>, but snarky comments arent facts nor are they being sent to the fedora team
          Is it snarky and non-factual to say that I'm still staring at a blank homepage, with all their javascript enabled? I understand that it probably works OK with Chrome, but this is truly moronic. It's supposed to be a (sometimes) server distro, but there's no way anyone is getting any useful information out of that page in links2 or elinks or any cli browser (I know, I just tried with links2), meaning you have to install a graphical desktop environment and a large multi-process browser using a very specific javascript engine or you are simply unable to reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by kn00tcn View Post
            it does work, javascript frameworks are not new, technically bandwidth and server cpu processing is saved by not generating out entire redundant verbose html code to visitors, it looks like the top menu is quite the list of items, it looks like there is a light/dark theme detector and toggle

"Jakub Jelinek of Red Hat's compiler team announced today they have worked their way down to no P1 regressions and as such have now made "gcc-13-branch" for the GCC 13 codebase while GCC Git with its mainline code is tracking development for what will be GCC 14"

it's final enough and it can/will be updated, holding off for 6 months would be stupid when clearly red hat is working on both the compiler and the distro (which needs to be distro packages reviewed, not peer reviewed for all random independent code)
            a week or two?

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Amazing you're saying that instead of apologizing. I've known Open Source fans are hostile towards non-open source things, I've know realized they are simply hostile. Open Source must be a religion considering what it does to people.
              apologizing for what?

Comment

There is also expanded use of Noto fonts [...]
                Does Fedora replace Cantarell with Noto in GNOME UI? Or is it used somewhere else?

Comment

Wow they're using GCC 13 even before it's released

Comment

I'll have a play with the ARM release out of curiosity, but I'm generally not a RedHat guy so probably it won't be for long. Hoping for a RISC-V release since I was weak and my new VisionFive 2 arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

The last time RedHat did that was probably before you were born...
                      Lol, I thought you were going to mention when egcs supplanted gcc.

Comment

Working...
                      X