Microsoft Continues Building Out Its Linux Distribution With More Packages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
    Yes, and Office in a browser is an absolute cesspit. Microsoft finally seem to have fixed their long-standing issues with complex Office documents/spreadsheets/presentations where making them on a PC breaks them on a Mac (and vice versa) but now opening complex Word documents in their browser implementation hoses it when I open it again in full fat Word. What a mess.

If Windows is such a small value, high issue part of Microsoft's business now (since 2022 revenue broke $200bn!) just release a Linux version of full fat Office! It appears that thousands of Linux developers have demonstrated that they don't care too much about telemetry in VSCode and the various plugins for it, so I doubt they'd care about telemetry in Office...
    The amount of effort involved in making a fat client for Linux would be gargantuan, to support a tiny, fragmented, and highly opinionated userbase on a desktop OS they literally do not care about: basically zero value to Microsoft.

Why wouldn't they devote those resources to making the web version better, since that also gives a client to Linux?

And if we're being fair here recent versions of web office have been stellar (other than performance), supporting every complex feature I have tried:
    • Named table references
    • recent functions: "let", "stockhistory", "xlookup"....
    • multiple worksheets
    • Data validation and dropdowns
    • Complex conditional formatting

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Dias View Post

Adobe and Autodesk, i don't know if get any bribe, but Corel certainly has received bribe from M$.
      "Why won't companies support a niche OS that is also more fragmented than the other two bigger OSes?"

Gee I don't know, that's a real headscratcher there.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Dias View Post

Adobe and Autodesk, i don't know if get any bribe, but Corel certainly has received bribe from M$.
        Yes, I remember having a great experience with the Corel Linux installer and the distro itself.

Comment

Working...
        X