Microsoft Continues Building Out Its Linux Distribution With More Packages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Continues Building Out Its Linux Distribution With More Packages

Phoronix: Microsoft Continues Building Out Its Linux Distribution With More Packages

Microsoft has published its latest CBL-Mariner 2.0.20230407 Linux distribution images this weekend as their in-house open-source OS that is used for a variety of purposes, mostly around Azure infrastructure...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Once Nvidia wayland issue is fixed Microsoft will switch to linux operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
      Once Nvidia wayland issue is fixed Microsoft will switch to linux operating system.
      I was about to write EEE but your comment made my day

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
        Agree. After 10 years. They need to create their "Wine" for Windows executables, to support legacy code.

Comment

It's still not clear to me what exactly is CBL Mariner's target user base / use case?

Comment

Love the screenshot

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
              It's still not clear to me what exactly is CBL Mariner's target user base / use case?
              Azure customers and WSL users along with their internal developers. Mostly internal targets for the present. Like most corporations they want to control their internal development stacks as much as they can given the upstream of open source projects are largely outside of their control.

Microsoft has lost control of part of the non-productivity server space (anything not related to Office and Office support). Their customers want Linux back ends for web services. If they didn't give it to them, someone else would. CBL gives them an open source based stack they can better control to develop their value added services for Azure. Money. Windows still brings them a billion a year, but it's a legacy product. The growth money is in cloud services on Azure which is why MS is forcing everyone using Office products to the cloud.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
                The growth money is in cloud services on Azure which is why MS is forcing everyone using Office products to the cloud.
                Yes, and Office in a browser is an absolute cesspit. Microsoft finally seem to have fixed their long-standing issues with complex Office documents/spreadsheets/presentations where making them on a PC breaks them on a Mac (and vice versa) but now opening complex Word documents in their browser implementation hoses it when I open it again in full fat Word. What a mess.

If Windows is such a small value, high issue part of Microsoft's business now (since 2022 revenue broke $200bn!) just release a Linux version of full fat Office! It appears that thousands of Linux developers have demonstrated that they don't care too much about telemetry in VSCode and the various plugins for it, so I doubt they'd care about telemetry in Office...

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                  Yes, and Office in a browser is an absolute cesspit. Microsoft finally seem to have fixed their long-standing issues with complex Office documents/spreadsheets/presentations where making them on a PC breaks them on a Mac (and vice versa) but now opening complex Word documents in their browser implementation hoses it when I open it again in full fat Word. What a mess.

If Windows is such a small value, high issue part of Microsoft's business now (since 2022 revenue broke $200bn!) just release a Linux version of full fat Office! It appears that thousands of Linux developers have demonstrated that they don't care too much about telemetry in VSCode and the various plugins for it, so I doubt they'd care about telemetry in Office...
                  They will never release full fat Office in Linux.

Same reason why they and Apple keep bribing Adobe to keep their software away from Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

They will never release full fat Office in Linux.

Same reason why they and Apple keep bribing Adobe to keep their software away from Linux.

Adobe and Autodesk, i don't know if get any bribe, but Corel certainly has received bribe from M$.

Comment

Working...
                    X