CoreCtrl Now Available In Debian & Ubuntu 23.04 For Managing Your System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoreCtrl Now Available In Debian & Ubuntu 23.04 For Managing Your System

Phoronix: CoreCtrl Now Available In Debian & Ubuntu 23.04 For Managing Your System

CoreCtrl as the open-source utility for managing your system's performance/vitals and supporting various application profiles has landed in Debian as well as being picked up for easy installation on the upcoming Ubuntu 23.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile the rest of the distros already had it. So much so for "the largest repository on earth"

Comment

Sounds like a very cool piece of software that I had never heard of before. Thanks Michael for shedding some light on it!

Comment

That's great!
        But I wish somebody will add to Debian's repoisitory the new AMDGPU_TOP too:
        Tool to display AMDGPU usage. Contribute to Umio-Yasuno/amdgpu_top development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

corectrl should really be defaulted with any amd gpu. its very useful. my only complaint is it messing with cpu governors by defaults. wish that was disabled until user decides to turn it on.

Comment

I wonder if Intel will leverage on Corectrl for their GPUs too.

Comment

Apart from some fancy graphics, how is this different from GKRELLM ?

Comment

Originally posted by Loaded4th View Post
                Apart from some fancy graphics, how is this different from GKRELLM ?
                Never used GKRELLM, but from the website it seems to be just a system monitor?

The charting features of CoreCtrl are tertiary. It's main functions are 1) providing GUI controls for overclocking/undervolting, and 2) applying particular clock/voltage/governor settings when specific applications are running. I expect most CoreCtrl users have it in their systray but almost never open the GUI after the first week or two.

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post

Never used GKRELLM, but from the website it seems to be just a system monitor?

The charting features of CoreCtrl are tertiary. It's main functions are 1) providing GUI controls for overclocking/undervolting, and 2) applying particular clock/voltage/governor settings when specific applications are running. I expect most CoreCtrl users have it in their systray but almost never open the GUI after the first week or two.
                  Thanks, yes GKRELLM is a system monitor and quite compact that I run constantly, mainly to monitor the temperature of my NVME drive. I will have to check CoreCtrl out sometime...

Comment

Originally posted by pieman View Post
                    corectrl should really be defaulted with any amd gpu. its very useful. my only complaint is it messing with cpu governors by defaults. wish that was disabled until user decides to turn it on.

I hate that too. Personally I prefer radeon-profile, even if it's practically dead. It's a much better utility in terms of information display, fan control and application profile management.

It's good that they finally added this to the official repos, as the ppa was bloated with other software that one usually did not want to install or pollute their base system with. Building from source was also never that fun.
                    Last edited by Melcar; 13 April 2023, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X