Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CentOS Reminds Everyone End-Of-Life Is Coming For CentOS Linux 7, CentOS Stream 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS Reminds Everyone End-Of-Life Is Coming For CentOS Linux 7, CentOS Stream 8

Phoronix: CentOS Reminds Everyone End-Of-Life Is Coming For CentOS Linux 7, CentOS Stream 8

The CentOS Project has sent out a reminder of end-of-life dates for CentOS Linux 7 and CentOS Stream 8...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is going to be such a shit show.
    Be me, be an SME, have 400 centos 7 envs in production, have everything built around RPM's.

Sigh.
    ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by WiR3D View Post
      Be me, be an SME, have 400 centos 7 envs in production, have everything built around RPM's.

Sigh.
      ​​​​
      So upgrade to Rocky, Alma, or RHEL when the time comes.

Also, no offense, but if you're actually a professional, you've had a little over two years to figure it out. If it's a shit show, that's on you for slacking off for two years instead of coming up with an effective upgrade strategy...or even an ineffective strategy like my "save non-root, non-os, actual production stuff to a non-root disk so all my stuff is available regardless of the OS I'm running".

The heck is an SME?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The heck is an SME?
        Your wikipedia link does have the answer: Small Medium Enterprise although as in common with TLA's (ha!) it's an overloaded term that may also mean subject matter expert. In either case, there is a pretty good upgrade path here as you noted.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

So upgrade to Rocky, Alma, or RHEL when the time comes.

Also, no offense, but if you're actually a professional, you've had a little over two years to figure it out. If it's a shit show, that's on you for slacking off for two years instead of coming up with an effective upgrade strategy...or even an ineffective strategy like my "save non-root, non-os, actual production stuff to a non-root disk so all my stuff is available regardless of the OS I'm running".

The heck is an SME?
          The point I was making was that for a resource constrained company of our size it's a massive undertaking that ultimately steals a lot of effort from revenue generation. Yes we have been working on this, fyi we are moving everything to debian,but it's no small feat.
          Rocky is still unproven, RHEL licenses will liquidate us.

​​​

Comment

I switched the centOS 7 machines to oracle linux 8.
            Not sure at what point Oracle became the good guys, but yeah, that happened.

Comment

​​​​
              CentOS 7 would go end-of-life on June 2024 regardless the recent changes in CentOS and that fact has been known ever since RHEL/CentOS 7 was released (2014).

Comment

The point I was making was that for a resource constrained company of our size it's a massive undertaking that ultimately steals a lot of effort from revenue generation. Yes we have been working on this, fyi we are moving everything to debian,but it's no small feat.
                Rocky is still unproven, RHEL licenses will liquidate us.

​​​
                I went with AlmaLinux as I have a better feeling with it then with Rocky and migration worked well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sesivany View Post

CentOS 7 would go end-of-life on June 2024 regardless the recent changes in CentOS and that fact has been known ever since RHEL/CentOS 7 was released (2014).
                  Yes, but if I am not mistaken CentOS 8 early termination was only announced in early 2021. Probably many were expecting to continue the CentOS line. And if they do not feel comfortable with Rocky nor are able to sustain a RHE subscription then the move to Debian also makes sense, though with the near release of Debian 12 and since there is still a bit over one year of CentOS 7 support then their migration schedule makes sense to me. The tricky part will be validating everything in staging after Debian 12 is stable and before CentOS 7 EOL, hopefully they are already testing the RC1 in some capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by SofS View Post

Yes, but if I am not mistaken CentOS 8 early termination was only announced in early 2021. Probably many were expecting to continue the CentOS line. And if they do not feel comfortable with Rocky nor are able to sustain a RHE subscription then the move to Debian also makes sense, though with the near release of Debian 12 and since there is still a bit over one year of CentOS 7 support then their migration schedule makes sense to me. The tricky part will be validating everything in staging after Debian 12 is stable and before CentOS 7 EOL, hopefully they are already testing the RC1 in some capacity.
                    Migrating from CentOS 7 to CentOS 8 would be as hard as migrating to RHEL, AlmaLinux, Rocky Linux. Those who are surprised by the end of life of CentOS 7 simply didn't get ready for any migration.
                    Not sure if suggesting Debian with 3+2 years of support to someone who has difficulties to timely upgrade an OS with 10 years of support makes sense, but why not.

Comment

Working...
                    X