Ubuntu 23.04 Beta Released - Powered By Linux 6.2, GNOME 44 & Other Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 23.04 Beta Released - Powered By Linux 6.2, GNOME 44 & Other Updates

Phoronix: Ubuntu 23.04 Beta Released - Powered By Linux 6.2, GNOME 44 & Other Updates

The beta of Ubuntu 23.04 "Lunar Lobster" and its various spins/flavors were released overnight for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

WTF is LibreOffice in snap as all-in package? When installing deb I can choose to install only Writer... There is also option to install WPS or something Chinese, but that's in practice seemed as

Comment

Slightly OT but related to it. Does anyone know if the next Popos Release is going to be based on Ubuntu 23.04 or will the next one be at the end of the year with the 23.10 release?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        Slightly OT but related to it. Does anyone know if the next Popos Release is going to be based on Ubuntu 23.04 or will the next one be at the end of the year with the 23.10 release?
        According to the PopOS chat there will not be a 23.04 release, although they’ve been making incremental upgrades the past few months ahead of Ubuntu’s official release (e.g. kernel 6.2). My sense is that they’ve decided to go their own way, maybe working towards using Debian as a base and building their own UI from scratch in Rust. It would be a big task, but hopefully they can pull it off… I like their style.

Comment

I've been using the pre-betas as a daily driver for a bit, and this is honestly the best experience I've had in Ubuntu in a long time. The GTK4/GNOME4x/Wayland stack is all firming-up quite well. Don't be fooled by the short feature list, 22.10 and 23.04 seem to be all about maturity and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
            I've been using the pre-betas as a daily driver for a bit, and this is honestly the best experience I've had in Ubuntu in a long time. The GTK4/GNOME4x/Wayland stack is all firming-up quite well. Don't be fooled by the short feature list, 22.10 and 23.04 seem to be all about maturity and experience.
            How's the post-boot snap experience? Does it still take a while for e.g. firefox to load?

That's honestly my biggest turn-off with Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by zookeeny View Post

According to the PopOS chat there will not be a 23.04 release, although they’ve been making incremental upgrades the past few months ahead of Ubuntu’s official release (e.g. kernel 6.2). My sense is that they’ve decided to go their own way, maybe working towards using Debian as a base and building their own UI from scratch in Rust. It would be a big task, but hopefully they can pull it off… I like their style.

thx for your post. I was only find some reddit stuff but this was rather outdated. Considering that Ubuntu is pushing more and more towards snap it might be a wise decision to go to debian and build on this Distro with Rust UI. But its for sure not an easy endeavour.

Comment

I am very curious about the snap experience also... I have played with snap's on a few occasions and have always had a horrible experience. When I install a .deb everything typically just works, and when it doesn't its easy to find the logs, configs, etc. When I install a snap there is almost always some permissions issue somewhere that hours of searching will lead to hints of a possible solution but nothing concrete.

Snaps are a layer of confusion mixed with chaos in every attempt I have made to use them. I have tested flatpak on a couple of occasions and it generally worked out to the box, but still .deb is by far the most successful experience.

Comment

Originally posted by ll1025 View Post

How's the post-boot snap experience? Does it still take a while for e.g. firefox to load?

That's honestly my biggest turn-off with Ubuntu.
                  ...and zexelon

I usually use Chrome, which is not a snap, but I just launched Firefox from the snap on a Gen11 Core i7 laptop w/NVMe and it was usable in about... two seconds. Your mileage will obviously vary on different hardware, but I'm quite happy with this.

Comment

Originally posted by zookeeny View Post
                    using Debian as a base
                    I find it doubtful, Pop get a ton of stuff for free from Ubuntu which is not available from Debian because of their philosphy that they would need to provide themselves. It's why Mint is still based in Ubuntu, to name one.

Comment

Working...
                    X