Debian 12 "Bookworm" Enters Its Soft Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leech View Post
    Like I said, I have been running Debian for multiple decades, they definitely have patched in new hardware support. Ubuntu and redhat do it as well.
    Then you shouldn't have trouble proving that.

Comment

Hi, I have 20+ year old game binaries on Linux including GTK1 binaries which run fine. I'm running Kernel 6.1.0-3-amd64 Home SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.8-1 (2023-01-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux. Linux the kernel/libraries are fine. The distros could use polish but are for the most part are ok. I'd like it if GNOME would stop trying to reinvent the wheel all the time. it feels like KDE Ports applications between QT versions much more frequently where as GNOME rewrites most of itself. I don't need a rewrite of Nautilus, nautilus worked just fine. I'd also like to see Nemiver be maintained so Debian could package it. (sadly it looks abandoned) A standalone GDB GUI that doesn't have the heft of an IDE was a good idea. Linux needs more of those. What I do need is more application software and more control panel tools. E.g It's really nice that I can configure sound/networking with ease. It would be nice if Samba4 had a GTK GUI, or if BIND had a GTK GUI etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
        Hi, I have 20+ year old game binaries on Linux including GTK1 binaries which run fine. I'm running Kernel 6.1.0-3-amd64 Home SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.8-1 (2023-01-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux. Linux the kernel/libraries are fine. The distros could use polish but are for the most part are ok. I'd like it if GNOME would stop trying to reinvent the wheel all the time. it feels like KDE Ports applications between QT versions much more frequently where as GNOME rewrites most of itself. I don't need a rewrite of Nautilus, nautilus worked just fine. I'd also like to see Nemiver be maintained so Debian could package it. (sadly it looks abandoned) A standalone GDB GUI that doesn't have the heft of an IDE was a good idea. Linux needs more of those. What I do need is more application software and more control panel tools. E.g It's really nice that I can configure sound/networking with ease. It would be nice if Samba4 had a GTK GUI, or if BIND had a GTK GUI etc.
        Honestly, I'm glad GNOME is changing that much recently. Sure, it wasn't bad before, but of course it's always good if they adapt to modern devices. A bit more choice would be nice of course. Putting the application bar at the bottom is understandable, as that's the default in every other OS. But that doesn't mean that needs to be the only option. If the lights of Windows and macOS think they need to be that restrictive, that's their choice. There's no reason for Linux to be restrictive.

But with the Gnome 40 line, for all I know they especially brought improvements like system wide dark theme or better touchscreen support. That's all good progress.

And honestly they could have gone much further with the Nautilus rewrite. There are enough file formats, that for all I know don't have preview support. Or like you said, built in GUI for Samba or GTK. And for all I know, people are again and again claiming decade old bugs still exist in Nautilus. While I might have either not noticed them or simply ignored them because I knew about them, but I think the room for improvements is still big enough.

But if the Debian guys would really want to improve stuff, I guess a more beginner friendly GUI installer would be great. Right now it's basically a TUI with mouse support. Plus, while I don't mind a thorough installation process, new users might be put off by it, so there should be an expert mode with all the options, but also a beginners mode with sane defaults and only options that beginners can understand and make a proper decision on.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Then you shouldn't have trouble proving that.

Do a search through that for 'add support' and you can see all of the hardware that was added. This is even for the installer kernel. So yes, they add new hardware support to the stable distributions.

Comment

Do a search through that for 'add support' and you can see all of the hardware that was added. This is even for the installer kernel. So yes, they add new hardware support to the stable distributions.
            You just took two month to fail your task. Congratulations.

Your link merely suggests that if the Linux Kernel Developers do backport hardware support, it will eventually also land in the Kernels of Debian, Ubuntu etc. That e the opposite of what you claimed, that the Debian team themselves will do the backports. Still I don't see any backports made for latest and greatest graphics hardware, the original claim that's still just utter bs. So nice try, but try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

You just took two month to fail your task. Congratulations.

Your link merely suggests that if the Linux Kernel Developers do backport hardware support, it will eventually also land in the Kernels of Debian, Ubuntu etc. That e the opposite of what you claimed, that the Debian team themselves will do the backports. Still I don't see any backports made for latest and greatest graphics hardware, the original claim that's still just utter bs. So nice try, but try again.
              Ha, I don't check this site very often. Or more to the point, check any messages I have on it.
              Not sure how I failed to do my task, and it isn't even my task. They literally don't 'freeze' on one kernel, which is what you claimed. The distro takes the kernel code and patches and fixes stuff and applies it as a patch to their kernel. Look at the update versions, they don't match. so yes, they do technically backport them.

Comment

Ha, I don't check this site very often. Or more to the point, check any messages I have on it.
                Not sure how I failed to do my task, and it isn't even my task. They literally don't 'freeze' on one kernel, which is what you claimed. The distro takes the kernel code and patches and fixes stuff and applies it as a patch to their kernel. Look at the update versions, they don't match. so yes, they do technically backport them.
                Like I said, feel free to prove that crap. But you are obviously incapable of, as you already felt the need to lie. I never said the Kernel never gets updated, as you would like people to believe. I simply ruled out the possiblity that Debian 11 will ever have the capability to e.g. properly run on a 7800 xtx, especially before the launch of 12. Maybe on some point in the future via the bullseye-backport support might be made available, but that's it.

This was my claim, if you wouldn't be either incapable of reading or simply too desperate to be right you would have noticed. Also twisting words just to get a far fetched excuse for your nonsense won't help.

Comment

Working...
                X