The Performance Impact From Different Arch Linux Kernel Flavors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WileEPyote View Post
    So, I came here resurrect this because I'm trying to decide on the best kernel to use in my Cachy install. Currently running Cachy's v4 kernel. I'm wondering if I should try Zen or the AMD kernel next. I'm on a Ryzen 9 7900X, 7900 XTX and 16GBx2 6000Mhz CAS 30 ram.

It's a little difficult to find information on the exact detailed differences between the different kernel choices. It's a bit frustrating really. lol

I know it's a huge ask, but is there a possibility to get a set of benchmarks on Zen4 with the AMD kernel included too?
    What's the AMD Kernel? Any links to a project?

Otherwise, benchmarks won't help you because they don't show responsiveness (what the zen kernel is for) and also it would need to be tested with your exact system and software. Why not install all kernels you're interested in and take the program where you need perf improvements and test it with your workload?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post

What's the AMD Kernel? Any links to a project?

Otherwise, benchmarks won't help you because they don't show responsiveness (what the zen kernel is for) and also it would need to be tested with your exact system and software. Why not install all kernels you're interested in and take the program where you need perf improvements and test it with your workload?
      It's the Linux-AMD kernel. Specifically patched for Zen4 AMD cpus

And honestly I was just hoping someone had experience with them already, as I'm already experimenting with 3 different kernels. CachyOS-v4 (6.7), CachyOS-Bore-v4 (6.7), and Mainline (6.8 rc2) My grub is getting cluttered. lol

Though I would like to see how the AMD kernel stacks up against the others in future benchmarks.

Comment

Working...
      X